Pullet has me confused.

Did she have joint involvement higher up her leg with the bumble foot? Pics and/or video may prove helpful. Have you checked in with your vet again with an update and gotten their opinion? That would be the best avenue to pursue as they were the ones to initially examine and treat her. :)
The vet thought her joint was okay. But didn't x-ray.

The vet thought her joint was okay. But didn't x-ray.
So her swelling was localized in the foot? That’s better than travelling up the leg. :)
Could be she has residual pain from compensating with her “good” leg, could be that she’s got nothing wrong other than trying to decide to go broody, or could be something else going on. When she limps, does she hitch that leg up quick like she doesn’t want to weight bear on it, or is she dragging it/moving it abnormally/placing it oddly?
I have a duck hen that had a pretty deep injury to her foot that severed a tendon and resulted in a nasty bumble; she’s got permanent damage done and walks with a small but noticeable “hitch” to her gait. She moves fast as always but waddles just a little bit harder on that leg than the other. Haha.
the giant poop once in the day, the hunkering down and chattering all sound more broody-like than anything.

So her swelling was localized in the foot? That’s better than travelling up the leg. :)
Could be she has residual pain from compensating with her “good” leg, could be that she’s got nothing wrong other than trying to decide to go broody, or could be something else going on. When she limps, does she hitch that leg up quick like she doesn’t want to weight bear on it, or is she dragging it/moving it abnormally/placing it oddly?
I have a duck hen that had a pretty deep injury to her foot that severed a tendon and resulted in a nasty bumble; she’s got permanent damage done and walks with a small but noticeable “hitch” to her gait. She moves fast as always but waddles just a little bit harder on that leg than the other. Haha.
the giant poop once in the day, the hunkering down and chattering all sound more broody-like than anything.
The limp is on the non-bumblefoot side. No quick retraction or dragging. It's more like a heavy press. Like when your foot is asleep and you try walking on it. She has a more pronounced wabble than the other girls.

I think I will keep her inside a few more days and see what happens. I'm kinda thinking that she has a hip issue with broodiness. If things don't change, I take her in later in the week. I know some might find it ridiculous that it would be her 4th vet trip, but the vet has shown me how to do loads of care. I'm hoping as I learn more, the less I will have to go.

Also, this is a special girl. She follows my husband everywhere. When he installed the auto water system in the coop and around the run, she spent the entire day with him inspecting each connection. She's his buddy.

Big Girl update: she has been very calm today--just chilling in the crate watching me work. On a whim, I slipped a couple of today's eggs under her. We have rooster, and the eggs are from some of his favorite girls. They are probably fertilized if the little white doughnut dots I been noticing on the ones we eat is anything to go by. She's been happily on them for an hour.

Concerns:
All my girls are first year layers and they have supper tough membranes. Will this be a problem?

First time chicken person and first broody and possibly first hatch...what do I need to do and watch?

Update 12/4/2020: She's not broody. Won't sit on the eggs for longer than an hour.

I reached out to my local facebook chicken group and got a vet recommendation. Got a physical exam, x-ray, and meds. Vet didn't find anything to explain the limping in the exam or x-ray. Big Girl did have muscle loss on the lame side. Vet gave an anti-inflammatory to see if that would help. After 24 hours of meds, there is some improvement. Big Girl is getting up more and trying to move. To encourage more movement, I have been giving her yard time next to the run twice a day. She is moving more, but still limps and tires quickly.

I work from home, so I can take time to supervise yard time. I know not everyone has that luxury. If I couldn't work from home, I would be looking at different options.

To check if she is broody look at her chest—if there are two parallel lines of feathers missing then she is broody. The hen loses the feathers there so that she can keep her eggs against her skin and therefore warmer. I always check there first before determining if she is broody or not!

Back
Top Bottom