Pullet has prolapse

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Diadado, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Diadado

Diadado In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Beacon Falls
    She's still hanging in there (egg came off first night after a couple of hours of soaking). Trying to keep it clean and moist. She's not suffering and I won't let her. Going with keeping her in the dark and food only at night. Has water with electrolytes 24/7.

I'm curious on the calcium aspect in prevention? She was on organic Blue Seal layer pellets when this happened and had been on layer pellets since July. I don't know what she was laying before - have several Buff's and never caught her with an egg so don't know which were hers. Was a decent sized egg she had attached but not big like the red sex link eggs who are a week or two younger than she is.

Will keep persevering with her as long as she's not suffering. She's one of the few who is a family pet so we don't care if she ever lays another egg as long as she's fine. She has a fabulous disposition and loves being held - always has.

2. Does she still have the prolapse?

3. Diadado

Diadado In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Beacon Falls
    Yes. Using witch hazel and prep-H to reduce the inflammation. She seems more comfortable since switching to that and is straining less. She loves the soaks in the tub. Local chicken vet is away until Thursday.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Vets can give something called Lupon injections to help the chicken never lay another egg. The hormone injections are given 3 times over 6 weeks, and then every 4-6 months thereafter. A lot of people with internal layers will do these to keep a pet chicken alive. They might be able to train you to give a chicken shot, and just let you do them at home. I would ask the vet. It would save a lot of money in vet visits.

5. Diadado

Diadado In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Beacon Falls
    Awesome - thanks!!!! She's still doing well - loving her baths. Inflammation going down slowly. Vet back Thursday. I've given injections to horses - I'm sure I can figure out a chicken. [​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. Put her butt in some sugar water! Trust me, it works. I have had to deal with prolapse problems a few times and this seem to work every time. If you don't believe me, just look it up on Backyard chickens and people will say that it is a miracle cure.

Don't give her that shot until you have tried this! It isn't worth it!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  8. Diadado

Diadado In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Beacon Falls
    The baths followed by witch hazel and prep-H are working. Tonight uterus is back in and just swelling at the top of the vent. I'll keep going until all looks normal. She certainly acts normal and no more straining.

How much sugar do you put in the water bernaboo? She's getting the full spa treatment in the tub in the house.

9. well it depends on how much water you are putting in the tub. If you give me an example of how much water you are putting in then I can tell you how much sugar to put in it.

10. oh yea, you can also just sprinkle some sugar on her prolapse and it should go in too. Which ever way is easier for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: