Pullet has started squatting

A lot of chickens usually lay earlier than 6 months depending on the breed, My australorp started laying eggs at 4 months. So yes, she should start laying soon, it's definitely exciting to walk in and find that first egg sitting in that nesting box!

A lot of chickens usually lay earlier than 6 months depending on the breed, My australorp started laying eggs at 4 months. So yes, she should start laying soon, it's definitely exciting to walk in and find that first egg sitting in that nesting box!
Oh I'm not ready for my babies to grow up.
She still seems so small, it was only yesterday she was just a little puffball.
Why do they grow up so fast!:barnieher first egg will be bittersweet.

A chicken who is soon coming into egg production may not lay until 4 weeks because their body is not used to it. Once they start laying there will be less stress and your hens egg production will go into its normal cycle. Breed isn't always a factor either, daylight hours generally can play a major role in how early a hen comes into egg production. A hen who becomes mature to early on the onset will sometimes result in fewer or smaller eggs. They are also more prone to prolapsed vent but I don't know if this is saying is just a hypothesis.

Back
Top Bottom