pullet has stopped laying and has green poop

spiritpots

Songster
5 Years
May 17, 2018
Afton, Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post my question but perhaps someone might be able to help me. My 11 month old barred rock pullet, Abby, began laying daily about 3 weeks ago but I she hasn't laid for the past four or five days. I live in Minnesota so although the days are getting longer only three of my seven girls are laying now so I thought maybe she was just taking a break after her initial start of laying. Yesterday, however, I saw what looked like chewed up spinach in the run... bright green and solid, like chewed up spinach. I had given the girls a bit of spinach a few days ago so thought that might be what it was. When I was out in the run yesterday Abby pooped a bit more of the green poo so I know for sure it's her. She seems to be a bit less active but ran like crazy when I tried to pick her up yesterday to check her (no luck on my part) but was pecking and eating. Her comb is still red but a little less than it was a few days ago (it's much more red than the combs on the girls that aren't laying right now). This morning there was a little bit of green poo again, so I'm not sure what's up. This poo isn't runny or anything like that, it's just an intense dark green like cooked spinach. My chickens free range in the summer and I've read that green poo is common if chickens have eaten green vegetables or grass, but this is the first time I have ever seen anything like this.

Please let me know if I should post this in a different forum. Thank you for any thoughts!

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post my question but perhaps someone might be able to help me. My 11 month old barred rock pullet, Abby, began laying daily about 3 weeks ago but I she hasn't laid for the past four or five days. I live in Minnesota so although the days are getting longer only three of my seven girls are laying now so I thought maybe she was just taking a break after her initial start of laying. Yesterday, however, I saw what looked like chewed up spinach in the run... bright green and solid, like chewed up spinach. I had given the girls a bit of spinach a few days ago so thought that might be what it was. When I was out in the run yesterday Abby pooped a bit more of the green poo so I know for sure it's her. She seems to be a bit less active but ran like crazy when I tried to pick her up yesterday to check her (no luck on my part) but was pecking and eating. Her comb is still red but a little less than it was a few days ago (it's much more red than the combs on the girls that aren't laying right now). This morning there was a little bit of green poo again, so I'm not sure what's up. This poo isn't runny or anything like that, it's just an intense dark green like cooked spinach. My chickens free range in the summer and I've read that green poo in common if chickens have eaten green vegetables or grass but this is the first time I have ever seen anything like this.

Please let me know if I should post this in a different forum. Thank you for any thoughts!
Tonight when the flock roosts, remove her from the roost and examine her crop. Is it full? Is it hard, pliable, squishy, gassy??? It should be full of what feels like feed when palpated.
Then put her in a crate in the coop for the night.
Examine her crop again in the morning. It should be flat and empty. If it is not, she has a slow or impacted crop and it needs to be treated.

Tonight when the flock roosts, remove her from the roost and examine her crop. Is it full? Is it hard, pliable, squishy, gassy??? It should be full of what feels like feed when palpated.
Then put her in a crate in the coop for the night.
Examine her crop again in the morning. It should be flat and empty. If it is not, she has a slow or impacted crop and it needs to be treated.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I thought it might be her crop. I'll check her later today.

Back
Top Bottom