Pullet Integration Help

Captain13

Songster
Sep 6, 2022
Kathleen, Ga
Trying to integrate some 5 month old pullets into my little flock. I’ve had them separated but some of the older hens are still pecking and chasing them off their food when I’ve put them all together. They are sleeping on the roost at night with the rest but won’t get off the roost in the morning until they are separated from the older hens.

I‘ve read a lot about this problem but haven’t been able to solve it yet. Tips would be much appreciated. They we’re separated for a couple of weeks and everybody seemed fine till I put them together. Tomorrow, I will put the older girls in the run and close the coop door so they can eat and drink. They can see the run and the run girls can see them. Thanks

What you are seeing with your chickens is completely normal. As long as none of the younger birds is being held down and pecked to the point of bleeding, you don't need to worry.

Provide at least 2 feeding stations, and 3 would be better. Make them out of direct line of sight of each other, and that will help too. The younger birds are learning the pecking order. The older birds eat first, the older birds chase the younger ones away from the prime dust bathing spots. That's how it goes in the chicken world. It looks mean to us, but we aren't chickens.

My hens (2 and 3 years old) are still chasing and pecking my 4 month old pullets. The 3 year olds will occasionally peck the 2 year olds. Nobody is getting hurt, so it's fine.

Thanks, Sally PB. The young ones haven’t been hurt but they are cowering and trying to hide after a couple of days of bullying. Hurts my heart. I have separate feeders and waterers and they are out of sight of each other.

I’ll stay with it. So far no hold down action or injuries. Just a lot of chasing, cackling and wing flapping.

Last edited:
Its probably getting better every day, but this also depends on the breeds you have and the individual characters.
The pecking order remains especially when food is involved. And in my flock there is some harassment at roosting time too.
Free ranging is the best for peaceful coexistence but not always possible because of predation risks.

i let them out to do controlled free range every day. We have red tail hawks around as well as red and grey foxes. They really like going out. The pulleys refuse to go out right now. They want to stay in the coop

Back
Top Bottom