1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet is limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SJchickens, Oct 4, 2015.

1. SJchickens

SJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Hi,

we have a pullet that has been limping for the past week. I'm not entirely sure if it is her foot or her leg (although I did check for bumblefoot)

It doesn't seem to be getting any better. She is still eating and drinking but is kind of alienated from the flock. She can get around by hopping on her good foot. What should I do for her to make it better?

Thanks!

2. SJchickens

SJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Bumping this because I need a reply. She isn't getting any better and seems to be panting more than the other chickens, which concerns me.

3. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Take a picture now and compare in a week.
    I took a picture of one of my chicks that had a problem and compared with 3 days later and the issue had gotten SO much worse. Sometimes we just need to see a broader perspective.
    Good luck! I have no advice because I'm too inexperienced.

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy SJchickens

I am afraid I am not going to be of much assistance but replied so that you know that you are not alone and have some support.

The panting could be a sign of pain from the limp or the panting and limp combined could be a sign of something sinister like Mareks or an infection.

I tried searching BYC and probably came up with the same results as you .. we were both looking at one of the threads at the same time [​IMG]

I hope you are able to find out what it is and hopefully by keeping this thread going, it may prompt someone more experienced to reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by