Pullet jammed toenail :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bribrewster, Feb 14, 2015.

1. bribrewster

bribrewster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    I have a pullet who jammed her toenail (no clue how she accomplished this!) It's bleeding and the nail is a bit loose. I cleaned it and sprayed it with Vetericin. I tried wrapping the toenail, but she's pretty crafty and getting her wrappings off her foot...
    Other than keeping it cleaned up and trying to get it wrapped, is there anything else I should be doing? I want to make sure and avoid infection! Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You probably don't need to wrap it, but the vetericyn is good. Those toenail injuries are very painful, and cause a limp, but usually not serious. The toenail may fall off or you can take it off. Sometimes the nail doesn't grow back, and the toe can look stubby.

3. Acornewell

Acornewell Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    LaOtto, Indiana
    I just had that happen to one of my birds...I clipped off the part that was hanging, and put a bit of corn starch on it...it looks much better!!!

4. bribrewster

bribrewster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Thank you everyone! The toe nail fell off on it's own and she's doing just fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by