Pullet laid a shell-less egg

McChooky

Free Ranging
Nov 11, 2020
Appalachian Mountains
I locked my chicken door around 7 last night then went inside to count them.That's when I noticed one of my pullets standing by the nest boxes go into an awkward position and saw an egg hanging out (it was attached) Another pullet pecked at the egg as I grabbed her . I took her inside but could no longer see the 'egg' I saw earlier but whatever it was attached to was hanging out. I gave her a tums, filled a small plastic tub with warm water and epsom salt and soaked her 30 minutes before she passed the soft shell-less egg in the water.She is resting comfortably in a cage now in my bedroom and is eating and drinking.I've never had a hen pass an egg like this before .Do you think she may have another egg inside her? This egg is laying on a red plastic plate there was no blood anywhere.

Attachments

• 20230906_220931.jpg
    20230906_220931.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 48
I locked my chicken door around 7 last night then went inside to count them.That's when I noticed one of my pullets standing by the nest boxes go into an awkward position and saw an egg hanging out (it was attached) Another pullet pecked at the egg as I grabbed her . I took her inside but could no longer see the 'egg' I saw earlier but whatever it was attached to was hanging out. I gave her a tums, filled a small plastic tub with warm water and epsom salt and soaked her 30 minutes before she passed the soft shell-less egg in the water.She is resting comfortably in a cage now in my bedroom and is eating and drinking.I've never had a hen pass an egg like this before .Do you think she may have another egg inside her? This egg is laying on a red plastic plate there was no blood anywhere.
Shelles eggs can happen when a hen is learning "calcium = strong egg" my pullets layed a few shelles eggs and i think she will be fine as long as the other egg is shelles. So if it does break problems done happen. If it has a shell the pieces will cut up her insides and she would likely die. That's why you don't keep smaller hens with heavy roosters as the roosters could break the eggs. I almost learned that the hard way! I think you should check her vent and see it you can pull any soft shelled egg out or make sure she isn't egg bound.

Is there a shell on the round part?
How old is this bird in weeks and how long has she been laying??
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
I would keep an eye on her, maybe even crate her, for the next few days.

My flock consists of a flock of 5 older hens 2 cockerels 3 one year old pullets and 13 (20) week old pullets (9) are brown leghorns and my only white egg layers.They're given a mash every morning when I turn them out so they can forage for bugs .They have access to the coop and run 24/7 with food and water (Kalmbach all flock) with grit and calcium on the side. I keep water outside and refresh it during the day to encourage them to drink more water esp since its been so hot. All my brown leghorns aren't laying yet but ones been laying a large white egg while all the other pullets are laying small. All of the small ones have a hard shell .I haven't gotten one of the large ones for a couple days and don't know which pullet laid it

Is there a shell on the round part?
How old is this bird in weeks and how long has she been laying??
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
I would keep an eye on her, maybe even crate her, for the next few days.
There wasn't a shell anywhere on the floor of the coop ,on the egg or the piece attached to it . I also used a lubricated glove to fill around for pieces of egg inside her but barely poked my finger in ( I was afraid I'd break an egg if one was in there) I added a Tb of white vinegar to a quart of warm water to flush her 3 times using a 3 ml plunger then poured the rest out (total of 9 ml)She ate some mash and pooped normal a couple hrs later and was resting peacefully at 4 am this morning and acting normal with the rest of the flock.
Could be a glitch from one of your older birds slowing production getting ready to molt, you can get some weird eggs at that time.

But....

Shelles eggs can happen when a hen is learning "calcium = strong egg" my pullets layed a few shelles eggs and i think she will be fine as long as the other egg is shelles. So if it does break problems done happen. If it has a shell the pieces will cut up her insides and she would likely die. That's why you don't keep smaller hens with heavy roosters as the roosters could break the eggs. I almost learned that the hard way! I think you should check her vent and see it you can pull any soft shelled egg out or make sure she isn't egg bound.
My legbar cockerels were separated from the pullets at 12 weeks and chased for over a month by my older hens. The pullets have plenty of hiding places and only been released in the flock since they started laying. The cockerels I chose to be over my flock aren't a heavy breed. Most are only 6-7 lbs. Thanks for the tip!

My legbar cockerels were separated from the pullets at 12 weeks and chased for over a month by my older hens. The pullets have plenty of hiding places and only been released in the flock since they started laying. The cockerels I chose to be over my flock aren't a heavy breed. Most are only 6-7 lbs. Thanks for the tip!
Your welcome! When I was mentioning heavy roos with light hens I was just telling you as a precaution as it's good to know. I had a light Sussex rooster and two Livorno hens they are much happier with my smaller buff Piemonte roo! I hope the hen does okay!

Back
Top Bottom