Pullet laying eggs by feeder

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Live Oak Farms 01, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Live Oak Farms 01

Live Oak Farms 01 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Yesterday, our pullets started laying. We found 5 eggs in a nesting box. This morning, a pullet was getting ready to lay by the feeder. Is there anything we can do to makes sure they lay in the box?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

Oh, and when she is getting ready to lay, do they make a very high pitched, almost crow- like noise???

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. Live Oak Farms 01

Live Oak Farms 01 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Well, Would easter eggs or golf balls for in their boxes?

3. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    I've used fake eggs and golf balls. They will lay in the nest without them. Some of my pullets begin by laying anywhere they please. But they all usualy end up holding out for the nest.

4. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    [​IMG]

I never had that problem (yet) ... But I do have fake eggs in the nest I want them to use --- the seem to think that because someone else used it then it must be the best one - once one lays in a box, they all have to use the same box. It helps to keep the eggs cleaner as some of them sleep on one nest box - so I don't want them using that one to lay in. My Leghorn went broody a last month and was trying to hatch the fake eggs, poor girl. I kept kicking her off the nest though (boy did she growl at me for that !), and tossing her outside - and she gave up fairly easily.

The noise is probably the "egg song" - mine cluck and make noise when just about to lay -and I have one that must advertise to the whole wide world after she's done that she laid an egg and it's the greatest accomplishment ever ! - boy is she loud and proud ! [​IMG]
    But it only lasts a few minutes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by