Pullet laying eggs in strange place

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pouletchallet, Sep 26, 2008.

1. pouletchallet

pouletchallet Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2008
    One of my pullets has twice laid on the roosting bars that sit over the poop box and I can't figure out why not in the nesting boxes where the other 4 have laid.

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

cause she likes playing with ya head,,hehe [​IMG]
    your roosting bars must be real close together,, any way of spreading them apart so she cant?

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Try putting a fake egg in the box. It might help. I was having a problem with my new pullets laying eggs all over the floor. I put a fake one in and they started laying in the box, but as soon as I took out the fake egg, they laid on the floor again. I guess I have to leave the fake egg in awhile longer. Good luck!

4. pouletchallet

pouletchallet Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2008
    Quote:They are like 12" apart? Well today I think she used the box, I like the idea she is messing with my head cause I can't figure it out.

5. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    out of our 19 hens 6 lay in the coop in the nest boxes, or on the floor, then about 8 lay in the garage, the others lay whereever they feel like it and that could be under the car, in the wood pile, in the bushes, on the patio table....or places we havent found yet. We have given up trying to get them to lay in the boxes. We just go on egg hunts every day.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    It's called revenge. Since we steal their eggs I think they do indeed mess with our heads. So of a poultry payback.

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

12" apart,,, and she lays her eggs on a bar? ,,, they must be BIG eggs not to fall between the bars ,, hahaha [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Birds that are starting to lay haven't learned the body clues yet to know when it's "time" to hit a box. I understand from these boards that it's pretty common for young pullets to lay on roosting bars until the get the hang of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by