Pullet losing a lot of feathers?

Isyovi

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
The Netherlands
We have a older pullet who is going through it. She has lost all of her tail feathers and feathers near hear head. She is the only of our 10 other chickens that has it. She is looking kind of sick too, stiff comb and skinny wattles. Sometimes she sits hunched up. She still eats and drinks but i think she is a bit of a outcast. We are planning to put her somewhere else with another pullet to calm her. Is that a good idea?

We have a older pullet who is going through it. She has lost all of her tail feathers and feathers near hear head. She is the only of our 10 other chickens that has it. She is looking kind of sick too, stiff comb and skinny wattles. Sometimes she sits hunched up. She still eats and drinks but i think she is a bit of a outcast. We are planning to put her somewhere else with another pullet to calm her. Is that a good idea?
It could be lites or mites. Have you checked her yet? Also check her poop for parasites, Im not an expert but that could be the problem

It could be lites or mites. Have you checked her yet? Also check her poop for parasites, Im not an expert but that could be the problem
I have not checked them because only one pullet has it but i will seperate her for sure now. It is difficult to check her droppings for parasites because we have that much chickens and we do not know wich poop belongs to what chicken. I will make some space in the coop and will update when i know more!

I have not checked them because only one pullet has it but i will seperate her for sure now. It is difficult to check her droppings for parasites because we have that much chickens and we do not know wich poop belongs to what chicken. I will make some space in the coop and will update when i know more!
If you find worms in chicken poop, it doesn’t matter whose poop it is. The whole flock would need to be treated. Also, you cannot tell just by looking at the poop - having a fecal float test done is the only way to know for sure. As far as checking for external parasites, I would wait until dark and then go out to the coop and check for mites (those little suckers come out at night). If you don’t see any of this, then she is probably just going through a hard molt. Can you post some pics?

If you find worms in chicken poop, it doesn’t matter whose poop it is. The whole flock would need to be treated. Also, you cannot tell just by looking at the poop - having a fecal float test done is the only way to know for sure. As far as checking for external parasites, I would wait until dark and then go out to the coop and check for mites (those little suckers come out at night). If you don’t see any of this, then she is probably just going through a hard molt. Can you post some pics?
We are going to treat our chickens and new turkeys tomorrow for worms so that will maybe solve one thing. I will take pictures tomorrow (saw some new feathers coming in!) i checked her for mites in daylight but i will check again tomorrow night.

Back
Top Bottom