PULLET LOSING FEATHERS AROUND BELLY

rosyposyosy

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
im not that worried about her - how important can feathers be? but now when she lays, there are lots of her feathers in the nesting box. i picked her up to day, and she is missing lots of feathers. is this molt? or is she staying on the nest too long? what could it be?

update: she is not broody, still no pin feathers, but continues to lose feathers. what could this be from?

Last edited:
during molt dont they have pin feathers? she doesnt have any... just naked skin. oh! i hope it isnt mites!! she dust bathes enough... haha. i just looked out the window, shes doing it right now

Ive had a couple of hens, one in particular, who've had a bare neck just below the base of the skull for awhile now. She was also bare-bottomed. I'm figuring she's a slow molter. She was dusted for pests more than once as a precaution, but I've seen nothing on her or anyone else here. This time of year, if you've dusted for pests and they're just bare in spots, it's probably molting.

no roosters here. chickens arent even allowed here (yet i got these chickens from the feedstore 3 blocks from my house!)i picked her up (i think she stepped in poo she smelled icky lol)and couldnt find any mites. shes been laying around a lot more too, rather that getting up and scrounging around.

she is a cochin. she does scream. lately she only gets off the nest when i take her off. and then she goes nuts. that sounds like what it is. haha. if she goes broody can i stick a 9 week old chick under her? lol

lau.gif
Rosy, bout the nine week chick.

I may be feeling your pain if mine is doin the same.
th.gif

Jill

Back
Top Bottom