pullet making strange noises, also has very runny poop

Wanda

Songster
12 Years
Jan 7, 2008
Pennsylvania
I have a 10 mos. old Delaware pullet that I have had for 6 wks. She has acted perfectly healthy til last night. I have a flock of 7 hens/pullets. they get free choice layer crumbles, a couple handfuls of scratch per day, oyster shell, grit and chopped alfalfa hay. Yesterday I put down some fresh alfalfa hay and some premixed scratch I had just bought (usually I mix cracked corn, wheat and oats but this mix has a lot more ingredients) Last night I heard her making a screeching noise, went down to check, she was roosting and looked normal. I did check her crop, it was full and this morning I could tell it had gone down during the night so I assume there is nothing wrong there. She is usually gong ho about eating the scratch, but this morning she wasn't interested but she was moving around normally and alert. I have her isolated in a crate, she is making a wheezing noise when she breathes and is opening her mouth. she also has really runny poop. I just have water and layer crumbles in her crate and I have seen her pecking at the crumbles but probably not eating as much as she should. All the others seem fine. Any ideas? Is it possible she could be having a reaction to something in the new scratch?

thanks,
Wanda

SHE'S BROODY !
celebrate.gif
yippiechickie.gif

no her poo doesn't smell. should mention, I moved to a new house in Dec with my flock of 5. there was no secure place outside to put them so they have been "wintering" in my basement. They pretty much aren't exposed to anything but I understand it is possible I could have brought something home. how long would it take for any signs of cocci to show up? I guess she could have had it when I got her 6 wks ago.

thanks,
Wanda

Last edited:
one of my bantam wyandottes goes broody alot so I am somewhat familiar with broodiness and I don't think this pullet is.

thanks,
Wanda

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom