Pullet molt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by katekearby, Oct 28, 2014.

1. katekearby

katekearby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    I was told a pullet molt was kind of light, but i have one who is pretty weird looking right now, and feathers everywhere. her 2 hatch mates are molting a little but this one the biggest and strongest of those 3 I'm afraid will get cold soon, she also is kind of segregated from the others like they won't have much to do with her while she looks weird ? Needless to say these 3 have also quit laying .

How long does a molt last? do i need to get this near naked hen a sweater? I assume that they should get 'back to normal'? soon?

2. Ponyfeather

Ponyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    California
    She might have a strange feathering gene at work, my Buff Orpington pullet keeps going threw light feathers spits and then slowly grows new feathers in then spits more after. Make sure your girl is getting enough protein she might not be getting enough to grow her feathers back in if she has spit them all out.

3. katekearby

katekearby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2014
    she has been here since April, is the biggest most feathered hen and super pretty normally, she was hatched in Feb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by