PULLET needs glasses ??????

Buckhunter

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
we have 25 pullets (actually 24 + 1 roo ) that were hatched 6/02/08. One maran pullet seems that she cant aim her pecker !!!! ........ 8^) .............. seriously when we throw a little corn kernels on the ground she will peck at the kernel but she misses it every time !!!! She absolutley can not pick up any small grain off the ground ! .......................... of course she does fine on the feed in the feeder and she LOVES the watermelons we occasionally give em from the garden .

Anyone ever see this before ?

Quote:
LMBO...we have one (Rita Hensworth) that Ginger has labeled as "Special". I tend to think that she is just not as quick as the bright girls.
gig.gif
What she lacks in brightness, she makes up for in mass.
thumbsup.gif

I have a pullet exactly like that!

She was badly injured when she was younger though, but she recovered fully and had no head injuries. So I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

She hardly ever gets what she's aiming at the first time. Which is good when she feels like picking on one of the juveniles, but not so good when it comes to getting her share of the treats. She lives with the big girls now, but they tend to pick on her sometimes.

My Polish hens are the same way, but I think it's a hairdo problem. I put a mealworm in my palm and they peck my palm about 5 times before they find the bug. I startled one once in the coop and she took off running and slammed right into the wall. And when they go outside (into a fenced field) we have to physically pick up the Polish to bring them inside (the rest of the hens go in themselves). If you forget one, she will stand outside screaming her head off until you go get her.

One thing I'd do is check her beak. Is it too long? My injured rooster, Zane, was having trouble picking up food and I realized that his beak needed trimming a bit; probably because he's been living in a cage for months since his accident and hasn't been able to file it normally.

Quote:
LOL- one of my Ladies has been a little- slow since being chased and caught by my neighbors dog. We named her Lohi Moa, which means retarded chicken in Hawaiian.

But wow, that poor chicken. Maybe her treats need to be in a little pile, so she at least gets one bite.
I wouldnt hand feed her. LOL you'll have a bunch of holes in your hand

BTW ................. she misses to the LEFT ......... about 1/4 inch .....................almost every time !!!!!!! ................. 8^)

Quote:
I was gonna say the SAME thing as speckledhen...check her beak..it may be too long. I trim my bird's beak with nail clippers. It's really quite simple--you just hold their beak shut and clip the part that hangs over, leaving just a little hang over.

Back
Top Bottom