Pullet or Cockeral?

fshinggrl

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
the edge of insanity
I have two chicks that are Easter Eggers. They *SHOULD* be pullets. The first one is dark and I've had a hen of that color, but this one is scaring me a little bit. THEY are both about 7 weeks old. The second one (reddish) has a pullet looking comb, but the coloring is challenging! Both of them feathered out nicely. It was another one who lacked a tail for a long time.

What are YOUR thoughts?! I've never 'accidently' had a rooster but I am nervous every time I get chicks!

In this last picture, you can see the dark EE just to the right of the reddish one I am posting pictures of. I also have Buff Orpingtons and Australorps along with a few light brahmas and some more EEs.

I get nervous every time too!

The black one might be a he due to the reddening comb, but I'm not seeing any wattles so I cannot say for sure. The red one is hard to see the comb, could you get a close up on her?

Dark one Looks like a roo to me, the buff one might also be, can't tell for sure. There seems to be an awful lot of red in the feathering in both, and it looks like there may be a few pointy saddle feathers and hackles coming in. No real tail sickles yet but the tail does look a bit curved on the black one.

Beards repress wattle growth so EEs are tricky to tell by wattle/comb growth, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom