Pullet or cockerel? Please help! (Pics)

Bean15

Chirping
Mar 16, 2020
IMG_5226.PNG

IMG_5230.PNG

Here is my Copper Maran chick at 7 weeks old, I'm having a super hard time sexing her/him. I first I thought I had a hen, but then she became more vocal and her tail feathers were looking slightly pointed. I have experience with marans however, and I remember one of my Midnight Majesty Maran hens also being very vocal at this age. Now I'm leaning towards pullet, she has a more defined breastbone which isn't as prominent in the chick I know is a cockrell. (he's a Barred Rock) She holds a stance like a hen, and runs away from my hand with the other chicks, as opposed to my cockrell who will go after anything. As you can see from the pics, she has a small pale comb, and I can't even see the smallest trace of red. Any ideas? I really hope it's a pullet.

(I'm able to provide more pictures if more are needed)

The shape of tail feathers do not indicate gender. The shape of the saddle and hackle feathers do. Male specific saddle feathers do not appear until much later.

Your chick still has down and has yet to molt. I don't think it would be unusual to not see any copper yet.

Mine's a cockerel, & got copper color in the neck feathers at 6 weeks of age, here he is at 4 weeks old, I don't have any updated pictures of him yet.
20200423_142308.jpg
20200423_142329.jpg

Mine's a cockerel, & got copper color in the neck feathers at 6 weeks of age, here he is at 4 weeks old, I don't have any updated pictures of him yet.
View attachment 2151987View attachment 2151988
Well hopefully I have a pullet then. at 4 weeks mine also carried herself much lower, not standing so upright as yours did. she definitely has more body than leg. :lol:

this gives me a little hope, I'm crossing my fingers that I have a little hen

Well hopefully I have a pullet then. at 4 weeks mine also carried herself much lower, not standing so upright as yours did. she definitely has more body than leg. :lol:

this gives me a little hope, I'm crossing my fingers that I have a little hen
Your's does look like a pullet.
I ordered mine as a pullet, but got a cockerel by mistake, same with my Welsummer.

Back
Top Bottom