Pullet or Cockerel?

MyChicksDigMe

In the Brooder
May 25, 2024
5 weeks old. It's bigger than the others, has a much bigger and redder comb, and acts different. I'm thinking it's a male, but I'm not too sure. The comb doesn't seem as red when it's resting, and the wings have always looked the same length as the others. The tail looks pointier than the others too though. What do you guys think? Am I going to have a rooster? 🐓

If it is a male will he stay as sweet as he is now? It loves to be held, pet, and wants to snuggle and nap on me every time I hang out with them.

Attachments

• 20240525_195910.jpg
    20240525_195910.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240525_200353.jpg
    20240525_200353.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240525_200824.jpg
    20240525_200824.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240525_202111.jpg
    20240525_202111.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 20
5 weeks old. It's bigger than the others, has a much bigger and redder comb, and acts different. I'm thinking it's a male, but I'm not too sure. The comb doesn't seem as red when it's resting, and the wings have always looked the same length as the others. The tail looks pointier than the others too though. What do you guys think? Am I going to have a rooster? 🐓

If it is a male will he stay as sweet as he is now? It loves to be held, pet, and wants to snuggle and nap on me every time I hang out with them.
I would say it is a boy, as for the sweetness, I would keep hanging out and cuddling with him, but keep your fingers crossed. Roosters can be a mixed bag.

Agreed 👍

@MyChicksDigMe Black Copper Marans?
I actually don't know. My husband and children brought them home and didn't look at the breed information. He said the lady mentioned green eggs. My best guess, and I'm a chicken newbie, was Olive eggers. They had puffier cheeks when they were littler. There's a gray one in the batch too, would that rule out Black Copper Marans?

Attachments

• 20240525_212429.jpg
    20240525_212429.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 17
I actually don't know. My husband and children brought them home and didn't look at the breed information. He said the lady mentioned green eggs. My best guess, and I'm a chicken newbie, was Olive eggers. They had puffier cheeks when they were littler. There's a gray one in the batch too, would that rule out Black Copper Marans?
The grey one definitely isn't. I didn't notice anyone puffy cheeks but seen the feathered legs so I asked out of curiosity..🙂
The grey one is super pretty also..♥️

5 weeks old. It's bigger than the others, has a much bigger and redder comb, and acts different. I'm thinking it's a male, but I'm not too sure.
Cockerel for sure.

The comb doesn't seem as red when it's resting,
One of the reasons for having a comb and wattles is to tell emotion. When a chicken is relaxed, their comb and wattles will pale to a lighter color. When a chicken is frightened or angered, their comb and wattles will brighten and become more red.

and the wings have always looked the same length as the others.
You cannot sex a chicken by its wing feathers unless it is very throughly bred for that specific trait, which is rare to find. Hatcheries never breed for this.

It depends. Males tend to be more sweet than females when they are young. When cockerels are coming into breeding age (six months old), they can turn aggressive and hate you, but some of them stay just as sweet as they always were. I hope the latter is the case for you!

There's no guarantee that any animal will keep the same temperament through puberty, especially a male animal. Especially since you're allowing him to take liberties with your personal space. Start ignoring him, don't let him on you or pet him.

Cockerel for sure.

One of the reasons for having a comb and wattles is to tell emotion. When a chicken is relaxed, their comb and wattles will pale to a lighter color. When a chicken is frightened or angered, their comb and wattles will brighten and become more red.

You cannot sex a chicken by its wing feathers unless it is very throughly bred for that specific trait, which is rare to find. Hatcheries never breed for this.

It depends. Males tend to be more sweet than females when they are young. When cockerels are coming into breeding age (six months old), they can turn aggressive and hate you, but some of them stay just as sweet as they always were. I hope the latter is the case for you!
Thank you for all the information. That's very helpful!

There's no guarantee that any animal will keep the same temperament through puberty, especially a male animal. Especially since you're allowing him to take liberties with your personal space. Start ignoring him, don't let him on you or pet him.
That wouldn't be much fun. It's such a sweet animal. Maybe that'll change later and I'll have to treat it differently, but I'm really enjoying bonding with it for the time being.

Attachments

• 20240525_223305.jpg
    20240525_223305.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom