Pullet or roo

rharris1427

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2017
IMG_0963.JPG
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG
Need some help

It looks like a pullet. My roo began to get a large, red comb at a young age, this chicken looks older than my roo when he began to get his comb. Roosters also begin to get a red wattle, (this chicken has no wattle) it's the fleshy caruncle that hangs from their throat. It also may depend on the behavior and breed. (My roo is a Barred Rock.) Is your chicken pecking the other birds, maybe even pecking you when you reach for it? Roosters have a slightly more aggressive behavior than hens have. :D

It is aggressive to the other chickens but never has pecked when we pick it up. 11 weeks old

EE or that's what we were told when we bought them
An EE is an Easter Egger. Based on what I'm researching right now, this chicken may actually be a rooster. This chicken has a lot of peas on its comb, and the comb is more red than pink. You also said it was showing some aggression. My roo began crowing around 16 weeks, you will know if your chicken starts crowing. Roos also, when they're at the age of around six months, grow one spur on each leg.

It's a cockerel. That much comb color at a young age plus the darker red feathering on the wing is a dead giveaway.

Back
Top Bottom