Pullet questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bennett Farms, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Bennett Farms

Bennett Farms Just Hatched

Jul 28, 2016
    Texas
    First let me say I enjoy reading alot of the posts. I have been learning alot. I will be getting 8 pullets this weekend and I cant wait. The flock will consist of 3 doms,3 barred rock, and 2 austrlops with a Deleware roo.

I have a large coop and have been working on the run. Are the pullets ok at their age to put into the coop? Or do i need to house them in my laundry room at all?

Im looking for advise on what i should do when I bring them home. What to expect, how long before I need to wait if any on when to let them out into the run etc. All advise appreciated. Iwill post pictures once they are here.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    How old are thy?By 3 months they are just fine to go out into the run&coop.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and :welcome. Pleased you joined us. How old will they be when you get them? If they only a day old or anything less than a couple weeks I think they can be in the coop but will need a heat source, particularly at night. Your profile says you're in Texas so your day time highs could be fine but for newborns they need to be kept warm at night. Here's a link to a great article from the Learning Center that talks about raising baby chicks. Hope it helps. Best of luck!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks

1 person likes this.
  4. dtown2002

dtown2002 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    Wait until they are 3-4 weeks old. If they are younger put them somewhere with a heat lamp too keep them warm. Drop temp by raising heat lamp. 5 degrees a week.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.

6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Infact by about 5 weeks they do not need heat lamps anymore.

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

In summertime they can go out as early as 5-6 weeks. The rest of the year they can go out at 7-8 weeks.

9. Bennett Farms

Bennett Farms Just Hatched

Jul 28, 2016
    Texas

Well I have all my ladys and gent. Well all for now.
    I have 2 Doms, 2 Buffs, 1 EE, 1 OE, 1 Marans. 1 Australorp, and a Silver Phoenix Roo. Diverse lil flock They are around 4-6 months old. Well the rooster is a lil older.

I noticed the rooster has been able to play with the australorp. If she starts laying do I need to add layer feed to the food? I feed crumbled flick food since they arent laying. What changes do I need to make to the feeding regimen to prepare for egg production?

10. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under

Yep they are definitely old enough to go outside, should be laying soon, change the food to layers when they are all laying and add oyster shell when the first one lays. Hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by