Pullet shut automatic door... predator safe?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Melabella, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    Hello all,,

Now that the weather is starting to get miserable, I am thinking that I would like to install an automatic door of some sort. I liked the look of the Pullet Shut automatic door. I like that they now have a light sensor to go along with the solar/battery option since I have no electric out to my coop and run.

My coop is inside my run, and I did the best I could to ensure it to be predator proof. 1 x 1 welded wire, with it dug underthe ground also. If something were to get in, say on the rare day I was away from home and couldn't shut the door to the run and a predetor got in, how safe is the Pullet shut door. Could a raccoon pry it open? Or dog or fox scratch at it and pry it open?

What do you think?

[​IMG]

Thanks for any thoughts,

MB

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    The Pullet Shut door would be my first choice.
    I have not heard of anyone having issues with it being somehow pried open at all.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    With a guillotine style door, prying it open would be nigh unto impossible because there is nothing to hold to open the door from the outside. If the bottom edge is nested into the frame, it cannot be lifted by the bottom.

If the door is metal or delrin, it would take a very long time and much diligence to claw through it.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by