Pullet sick?

Anne02

Crowing
Dec 23, 2020
Hi all! I am a little worried about one of my pullets Lion. She is sitting in a nesting box right now. I just went to check on her, and she is having weird, like, spasms, or hiccups or something. She kind of jerks, and her chest pushes out, and then she seems alright again. I checked her crop, and it's hard. And one of my more skittish pullets was just standing there watching her. I have 20 chickens in a free-range environment, and don't have the time to check all of them all the time. I did think it was a little weird that she didn't come running to peck my boot-laces this morning when I fed them (that's her favorite thing to do :rolleyes:) Please help, she's one of my favorite pullets, and so sweet to any younger or smaller chicks. She likes to sit on the eggs in the nesting boxes, and always chooses the one with the most eggs to lay hers in. I couldn't bear to lose her! 😭

If she dies, you will bear it because you have no choice. But let's try to prevent that and get to the bottom of this.
How old is she? What do you feed them?
Did you check her for injuries?
Any sniffles or sneezing?

I know I can bear it, I was just saying she's one of my favorites. She's just about 9 months old. no sniffling or sneezing that I'm aware of. I haven't checked for injuries yet, but I will. They get scratch feed along with just regular 17-18% layer feed.

UPDATE. She's mostly better. Drinking a lot of water. :confused: Walking around normally except for occasionally jerking her neck. I think there must have been something she was trying to get through her crop. Sorry for freaking out a little. This has been a bit of a tough year for me with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom