pullet sitting flat on butt with legs in front of her

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sryglet, Jul 20, 2016.

1. sryglet

sryglet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    I woke up this morning to find my 30 week old silkie pullet, Dazzler, sitting flat on her butt with her legs stretched out in front of her. She tries to stand and then falls down. Neither leg is broken or paralyzed, she just can't stand. I felt her all over and couldn't find any obvious broken bones.

She otherwise looks and acts perfectly fine - she's eating, drinking, and grooming herself. I separated her and then had to leave for work.

My husband just texted me a picture and she seems to be sitting pretty normally now.... what could this be? Did she hit her head? Was she smashed by a bigger bird? Is there any hope?

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Especially hot where you are lately? I would make sure she's getting all the water and food she needs. Where is she in the pecking order (betting low/bottom). Try giving her some rooster booster/electrolytes/vitamins. Sometimes dehydration can mimic neurological issues with birds. I would also quarantine her for a while in case it is something more severe (Marek's Disease).

Is this the pose?
    [​IMG]

3. sryglet

May 18, 2015

Yes, that is basically the pose although that chicken looks much more dramatic than she does. She is at the bottom of the pecking order, and I just got rid of her brother two days ago. She doesn't have any other symptoms of that disease, but I'm terrified that that could be it. I don't want to lose my whole flock. She ended up sitting in normally and has been grooming herself for a while but she's clearly having some sort of issue with her legs. UGG. I'm so worried. I hope she pulls through or at the very least it's not something contagious.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  4. sryglet

May 18, 2015
    She has a crazy feet - seven toes on 1 foot and six on the other, so I'm hoping that maybe something is just wrong with one of her feet. I felt them and no toes seemed broken but I'm not sure

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by