pullet sitting flat on butt with legs in front of her

sryglet

Chirping
May 18, 2015
I woke up this morning to find my 30 week old silkie pullet, Dazzler, sitting flat on her butt with her legs stretched out in front of her. She tries to stand and then falls down. Neither leg is broken or paralyzed, she just can't stand. I felt her all over and couldn't find any obvious broken bones.

She otherwise looks and acts perfectly fine - she's eating, drinking, and grooming herself. I separated her and then had to leave for work.

My husband just texted me a picture and she seems to be sitting pretty normally now.... what could this be? Did she hit her head? Was she smashed by a bigger bird? Is there any hope?

Especially hot where you are lately? I would make sure she's getting all the water and food she needs. Where is she in the pecking order (betting low/bottom). Try giving her some rooster booster/electrolytes/vitamins. Sometimes dehydration can mimic neurological issues with birds. I would also quarantine her for a while in case it is something more severe (Marek's Disease).

Is this the pose?
MD-003A%20x750.jpg

Especially hot where you are lately?  I would make sure she's getting all the water and food she needs.  Where is she in the pecking order (betting low/bottom).  Try giving her some rooster booster/electrolytes/vitamins.  Sometimes dehydration can mimic neurological issues with birds.  I would also quarantine her for a while in case it is something more severe (Marek's Disease).

Is this the pose?
MD-003A%20x750.jpg

Yes, that is basically the pose although that chicken looks much more dramatic than she does. She is at the bottom of the pecking order, and I just got rid of her brother two days ago. She doesn't have any other symptoms of that disease, but I'm terrified that that could be it. I don't want to lose my whole flock. She ended up sitting in normally and has been grooming herself for a while but she's clearly having some sort of issue with her legs. UGG. I'm so worried. I hope she pulls through or at the very least it's not something contagious.

Last edited:
She has a crazy feet - seven toes on 1 foot and six on the other, so I'm hoping that maybe something is just wrong with one of her feet. I felt them and no toes seemed broken but I'm not sure

Last edited:
I had a chicken do the same thing, but when I first saw her she wanting to sit back on her rear. My 1st thought was she might be egg bound. I soaked her in warm epson salt which she loved. I oiled her from both ends. The 2nd day I checked up in her and felt no egg. I continue to soak her daily for 4 days and gave her bread soaked in oil. She wanted to eat after the 4th day so I started her on feed. She was not injured and did not feel hot anywhere. She has been separated from the rest of the flock since that 1st day and no one else is doing this. Her legs seem to work when I lift her but she cannot hold herself up and just lays on her sit with her head up. She expelled on the 3rd day diarrhea them something now it may have a little for to it, but she’s not getting better. Can anyone tell me what she may have and what is my next step, she acts like she is paralyzed not being able to stand.

I had a chicken do the same thing, but when I first saw her she wanting to sit back on her rear. My 1st thought was she might be egg bound. I soaked her in warm epson salt which she loved. I oiled her from both ends. The 2nd day I checked up in her and felt no egg. I continue to soak her daily for 4 days and gave her bread soaked in oil. She wanted to eat after the 4th day so I started her on feed. She was not injured and did not feel hot anywhere. She has been separated from the rest of the flock since that 1st day and no one else is doing this. Her legs seem to work when I lift her but she cannot hold herself up and just lays on her sit with her head up. She expelled on the 3rd day diarrhea them something now it may have a little for to it, but she’s not getting better. Can anyone tell me what she may have and what is my next step, she acts like she is paralyzed not being able to stand.
I'm sorry to hear about your chicken.
Do you have photos of her? (if you have video, upload it to youtube, then provide us a link)
How old is she?
How long has she been like this?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
Is her crop empty in the mornings?

From your description it sounds like she has Marek's.
With more information, we may be able to help you better and give more suggestions.

Do you have photos of her? (if you have video, upload it to youtube, then provide us a link)
How old is she?

With more information, we may be able to help you better and give more suggestions.
She is only 1 1/2 years old. Was not being pick on by anybody. Our coop is very large plus they can go outside every day. One of our good layers. We have fed a complete layer crumble from North 40 plus they have free choice of oyster shells. Sometimes I would treat them with cracked corn and black sunflower seeds. I just made a video for you and I’m trying to figure out how to get it on you tube.

She is only 1 1/2 years old. Was not being pick on by anybody. Our coop is very large plus they can go outside every day. One of our good layers. We have fed a complete layer crumble from North 40 plus they have free choice of oyster shells. Sometimes I would treat them with cracked corn and black sunflower seeds. I just made a video for you and I’m trying to figure out how to get it on you tube.
We
She has been like this now for at least a week and not getting any better.

image.jpg
We

She has been like this now for at least a week and not getting any better.
How old is she?

Can’t seem to get the video to down load but this is the position she just falls into when I let go of her. She will fall to either side same position.

Videos should be posted on YouTube, then post a link here. Are you feeding and watering her? I would give her watery chicken feed mixed with a little cooked egg. You might be interested in making chicken a sling/chair out of piece of fabric with 3 holes for legs and droppings to pass through. Here are some examples with pictures and a diagram:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom