pullet sitting like a penguin!?

jaydannaduval

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
II recently got 3, 5-6wk old D'uccle pullets. They were shipped, and once they arrived one of them was very lethargic and wouldn't open her eyes. I know shipping is stressful, so I mixed some warm sugar water up and gave her about 3cc's of that and she perked up.

This am she is stronger, but isn't moving around. She looks kinda like a penguin -fluffed feathers, loose wings that are hanging, and her head is sucked into her chest. I also found blood in her poop.

I separated her from the other two, and bought some Sulmet in case its coccidious...

What do people think may be wrong? If it is coccidosis, how long do I keep her on the antibiotic?

The dosage for the sulmet 12.5% liquid solution is 2 tablespoons per gallon of water, medicate for 2 days, then reduce the amount of sulmet drinking water to one half (1 tablespoon per gallon of water) for 4 additional days. Withdrawal is 10 days.
Keep in mind that sulmet only treats 2 types of cocci. Corid (amprolium) treats all 9 types.

I gave her the Sulmet, and she passed about an hour later.

I found bloody stools from my other two pullets-when is the "prime time" to "catch" the disease?! They are both eating and drinking and seem fine. I gave them both a dose of Sulmet in their water tonight...

I NEED SUGGESTIOOONNSSS!!!! I don't want to loose these guys too!!!

Back
Top Bottom