Pullet Sitting on Eggs

I'm sure that today is day 21 but I really think something is wrong with these :(

The last egg I didn't get a picture of but I could see a foot against the shell but not moving.

I couldn't see any movement whatsoever.
they dont look great to me. Id leave them a bit longer, just incase, but I wouldnt put too much hope on them hatching. Hopefully Im wrong, and you get some possitive signs soon.

Do I intervene or with mama help them if needed? I've read through the guidance of helping if absolutely necessary so I know that I need to draw a line where the air cell is and the score a small x until it allows a little air in but it will be 24 hours since I saw them in the air cell around 6 hours from now so I'm hoping they still do it on their own.

But ....most of the info I can find is about incubator helping and not broody so does this mean Marshmallow might help and I won't have to?
To answer your question that is now irrelevant if the chicks have died in the shell (🙁!), I've literally had dozens of broodies hatch 100s of chicks, and I've never seen a broody help a chick out of a shell. Not saying it's not possible, but I think highly unlikely.

In your pictures posted earlier this morn, the 2nd pic (I couldn't see the egg number) does look like the chick may have died in the shell.
As far as not seeing movement, I wouldn't worry about that too much yet. Chicks will rest after internally pipping into the egg sac before they make their final effort to escape the egg.

To answer your question that is now irrelevant if the chicks have died in the shell (🙁!), I've literally had dozens of broodies hatch 100s of chicks, and I've never seen a broody help a chick out of a shell. Not saying it's not possible, but I think highly unlikely.

In your pictures posted earlier this morn, the 2nd pic (I couldn't see the egg number) does look like the chick may have died in the shell.
As far as not seeing movement, I wouldn't worry about that too much yet. Chicks will rest after internally pipping into the egg sac before they make their final effort to escape the egg.

I'm sorry I was suggesting that she would help, I literally have no idea and didn't want to interfer with nature if she would step i.

Yes that 2nd one does, doesn't it. I guess I should remove it.

The first picture is of the youngest egg but it is still day 21 today.

I'm really not sure if we should intervene with the final egg that I haven't pictured. It is similar to the 2nd picture but with possible movement. It will be 24hours since we saw these two internally pip and my gut says make a small air whole.

You had mentioned thinking this was a staggered hatch. If that is true, my gut says there is no reason to intervene yet, but since you are there only you can make the final decision.

Thank you yes it was so I know the youngest egg must be 21 days today because it is 21 days ago that I found her sat on them.

I fully intend on leaving be the youngest one because at this stage I do t think this one has internally pipped.

My guess was the first chick was due Sunday based on egg laying at the time and that one hatched Monday. The other two would have been 21 days on Monday and Tuesday.

One of the hardest things to do when waiting for eggs to hatch is sit on one's hands and be patient. Having said that, if your gut says to make a small hole in the air cell, then you should probably do so. (Your instincts were correct about moving Marshmallow before her eggs hatched, even though doing so will often cause an inexperienced broody to come off the eggs.) It can be a difficult call either way. In the past I have waited too long to help a shrink-wrapped chick escape it's egg and it sadly died after externally pipping. On the other hand I have sometimes tried to help chicks out too early and caused the membrane to bleed a bit. (In those situations I immediately put the egg chick back under mama, let nature take its course, & 100% percent of those chicks soon hatched successfully with no intervention needed.)

Know that almost every time, a chick will successfully hatch without intervention unless there is something wrong with the chick. (Deformities, etc.) The decision as to whether to intervene or not is a difficult call when we so much want every chick to survive. It's definitely better/easier on the emotions to wake up, go check on mom, and Yay she has cute new chicks!

One of the hardest things to do when waiting for eggs to hatch is sit on one's hands and be patient. Having said that, if your gut says to make a small hole in the air cell, then you should probably do so. (Your instincts were correct about moving Marshmallow before her eggs hatched, even though doing so will often cause an inexperienced broody to come off the eggs.) It can be a difficult call either way. In the past I have waited too long to help a shrink-wrapped chick escape it's egg and it sadly died after externally pipping. On the other hand I have sometimes tried to help chicks out too early and caused the membrane to bleed a bit. (In those situations I immediately put the egg chick back under mama, let nature take its course, & 100% percent of those chicks soon hatched successfully with no intervention needed.)

Know that almost every time, a chick will successfully hatch without intervention unless there is something wrong with the chick. (Deformities, etc.) The decision as to whether to intervene or not is a difficult call when we so much want every chick to survive. It's definitely better/easier on the emotions to wake up, go check on mom, and Yay she has cute new chicks!

I just felt I knew marshmallow was full commited to these eggs but I definitely wouldn't have moved her sister who is jumpy and easily distracted.

You only want to do your best to help if needed. I'm going to give till it's been an hour since husband checked and then decide from what I see what to do because you are right if the chick is healthy then it would make it out by itself like our first little one.

I'm just glad Marshmallow has one little one at least she's been such a trooper but then there is the worry how this single chick will be on her own!

We tried to assist the chick in the egg I didn't photograph and sadly this chick was already gone. I'm frustrated with myself that I didn't assist last night when my gut said to, I knew that they were needing assistance and I ignored it because I didn't want to cause harm when trying to help.

I am certain the other egg pictured is a goner and so we haven't touch this one but will remove once we decide what to do with the final egg.

I have photographed the chick we attempted to help to try and understand what went wrong and if anyone can suggest anything that would be helpful.

We have left the final egg under her to see if anything changes but I do not want her sitting any longer than necessary so I will check the egg again before bed and decide from there what to do.

I do have concerns about having a lone chick now as I'm not convinced the last egg is alive.

Attachments

• PXL_20221130_184035633.jpg
    PXL_20221130_184035633.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20221130_184037887.jpg
    PXL_20221130_184037887.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20221130_184254759.jpg
    PXL_20221130_184254759.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 3
We tried to assist the chick in the egg I didn't photograph and sadly this chick was already gone. I'm frustrated with myself that I didn't assist last night when my gut said to, I knew that they were needing assistance and I ignored it because I didn't want to cause harm when trying to help.

I am certain the other egg pictured is a goner and so we haven't touch this one but will remove once we decide what to do with the final egg.

I have photographed the chick we attempted to help to try and understand what went wrong and if anyone can suggest anything that would be helpful.

We have left the final egg under her to see if anything changes but I do not want her sitting any longer than necessary so I will check the egg again before bed and decide from there what to do.

I do have concerns about having a lone chick now as I'm not convinced the last egg is alive.
I know you are bummed and I'm really sorry it didn't make it. The 3rd photo shows it still had a lot of yolk to absorb, meaning even if you had assisted it probably would not have survived. Its often hard to know why a chick so far along in development dies in the shell. As an aside, the eggs are a beautiful color. How old is the hen that laid them? I will try to locate a very informative article I once read that addresses reasons a chick may die before hatch.

As far only one surviving chick, yes it would be better if there were more, but unless you have a local feed store carrying chicks this time of year, don't worry about it since there's nothing you can do.

Back
Top Bottom