Pullet sleeping in nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chiks_rule, Dec 6, 2010.

1. chiks_rule

chiks_rule Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2009
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I have a new Pullet that is sleeping in the nest box. How do I discourage this behavior? I cannot get out to tend to them until after I get home from school drop off...usually around 9AM. I am worried that if I block the nest box that I may mess with thieir egg laying schedule because I can't get out there until 9. Any suggestions. PS. I put their food and water in their coop when I put them to bed so they do have that available.

Crystal

2. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    does she stay in there all day?
    is she aggressive when you try to move her?
    does she make a sound that can only be compared to the raptors from Jurassic park when you go near her?

if you answered yes to any or all of these questions, you probably have a broody pullet on your hands [​IMG]
    I just loaded mine up with 7 eggs, they should hatch on christmas day [​IMG]

3. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Keep shooing her off?
    Put a bucket in nest box? IDK....

4. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Maybe she's just cold. I'd leave her alone unless she isn't eating or drinking.

5. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    I had that same problem with a buff orpington and when I got her to quit doing it I had my Marans move in and do it, then after I got her to quit one of my RI's started up. But that all happened right around the time I introduced them to the coop/flock. What I did that apparently worked was to go out there after dark and take them out of the nest box and set them on the roost. After the first bird that got a little old so instead I went out there after dark and poked the bird in the nest box gently until she was so annoyed that she got out of the nest box. After a week or so they quit sleeping in the nest box all together.

That's also the same technique that I use to get my wife to move over in bed. So poking seems to be effective. [​IMG]

6. chiks_rule

Nov 19, 2009
    Fredericksburg, VA
    That's also the same technique that I use to get my wife to move over in bed. So poking seems to be effective. tongue

That is what I do to my husband too!

She is a new RIR and it has been cold. She is not laying yet. I will try to move her at night and see what happens. Is it a huge problem that she does that?

Thanks!​

7. celticfarmer

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    Its not really a huge problem if you don't mind poopy eggs, and if she is sleeping in the nest box where nobody lays any eggs its not really a big deal.

However, chickens poop while they sleep and so the nest box can get pretty gross in a hurry.

One reason that I have found for them to sleep in the nest box is that they are getting shoved around when it comes time to roost. So keep an eye on her and see if she is getting pecked.

Good luck

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Night before last I had 2 RIR's sleeping in the nesting box. It has gotten quite cold here. Last night we put a little heat in their coop and they all slept on the roost last night. Maybe she is cold. DH kinda gave me fits about the heat but when he went to get water this morning and it was frozen solid he was gald we gave them some heat. Tonight he is moving the waterer closer to the heat.

9. celticfarmer

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    Quote:There is no heat in our coop and its been real cold up here for quite some time. The water has to be thawed and refilled twice a day, and if they get thristy in the middle of the night they are out of luck.

The only thing that is really necessary in the winter is a light on a timer if you want them to lay regularly.

My personal theory is that her girl is getting bullied and is afraid to hang with the big girls.

10. chiks_rule

Nov 19, 2009
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Thanks for all the help. I only have 2, they are both pullets but the first one I got is a Polish and she was alone for 2 weeks before I got the RIR pullet. I am sure there is a little bullying going on due to the fact that she is new and they are sorting their pecking rights and all. I have their coop in the barn so it's draft free but still cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by