Pullet sleeping in the nest! Please help!

Johnchickens2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Today, my pullet had a very "long day": she went to her nest at 11:00 and sat for about 2 hours WITHOUT laying an egg like she usually does. Then she came out for a while. After about 20 mins she went back to her nest and LAID an egg this time. Then came out again, and when it began to be dark she went back to her nest and is sleeping there right now, and it's midnight. Is it normal?? Is she broody? She laid only 8-9 eggs until now, 5 months old! What is this behavior and what should be done? Should I give her some eggs to hatch??

Hard to say if she's broody or just getting used to laying or 'hiding' from other members of the flock.

Here's my go to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

I have a couple nest sleepers. No big deal, i clean the poop in the morning. Try going out whens its dark, take her off nest and put her on roost. Might take a few nights 🤷‍♀️Good luck!,🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom