Pullet Sneezing. Worse than I think.

cluckcluckluke

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
The Foothills Of Chickendom
Just brought 3 Ancona 16 week old pullets home and have now discovered that one of them in sneezing.
She sneezes once about every 1-2 minutes.
She is perfectly active, bright eyed, no nostril liquid. She is actively eating, drinking and scratching.
The other 2 are not sneezing. They are all in quarantine away from my flock.

Is this sneeze worse than perhaps just a little dust? What can I do to fix it if is bad?

IF it progresses into mucus present id say its the begin ng of a respiratory illness. listen to her breathing make sure its normal also. right now I have a pullet who sneezes every once in a while. if signs progress on mine I will treat with a antibiotic that's geared for respiratory. its called tylosin or brand name TYLAN50. dose is as follows; large birds 1/2 cc small birds 1/4 cc once daily for five days. the injection is given in the breast muscle. you can get Tylan50 at the feed store. I have many antibiotics in my kit including baytril. however I'm choosing Tylan because its really the best for respiratory. do NOT worry that the bottle says for cattle many many poultry owners including myself use it. it packs a great punch against respiratory illness. why would I choose a injectable over my water soluble antibiotics? because with an injectable the dose is more consistent and not dependant on the amount drunken. also it gets into the blood stream more quickly and is a lot stronger. so if my bird sneezes progress this is what I'll be doing. I highly recommend this treatment for respiratory issues. I prefer to use a diabetic syringe because the needle is a LOT smaller although I have both types of syringes. what I do is use the keel bone as a guide. about 3 inches over into the muscle not too close to the keel or wing. then I dab the area with alcohol. this helps part the feathers nicely and exposes the skin. put the needle in with medication ensuring no bubbles then drew back on the plunger if you see blood your in the wrong area and need to reposition. once you draw back and no blood appears push the plunger in. this is easier than it sounds and very quick.I get a helper to hold the wings but usually mine don't even flinch when the injection is given. but just in case your helper will ensure the bird remains still for the process.if you have never given an injection this gets easier after the first time. do use the alcohol trust me it makes it much easier to see the skin of the breast! also cleans the area. you can get everything you need at the feed store. unless you want to use the diabetic needle. I'm a diabetic so I use my needles but you can get them from the pharmacy or order a box online from B&D needles. I recommend ordering a box to have on hand. the needles are A LOT smaller. and in my expirence easier to work with but if that's not possible a regular syringe from the feed store is just fine. you SHOULD see improvements in a couple of days or each day after using Tylan50. I hope this post is helpful. I would wait until I saw more signs of illness before treatment. such as mucus present breathing wheeze coughing or rattling. good luck to you. As SOON as you see any more symptoms start treatment immediately. this is what I will do. good luck to you and hope she gets better soon! I think I covered everything here and do hope I've helped. best wishes.

IF it progresses into mucus present id say its the begin ng of a respiratory illness. listen to her breathing make sure its normal also. right now I have a pullet who sneezes every once in a while. if signs progress on mine I will treat with a antibiotic that's geared for respiratory. its called tylosin or brand name TYLAN50. dose is as follows; large birds 1/2 cc small birds 1/4 cc once daily for five days. the injection is given in the breast muscle. you can get Tylan50 at the feed store. I have many antibiotics in my kit including baytril. however I'm choosing Tylan because its really the best for respiratory. do NOT worry that the bottle says for cattle many many poultry owners including myself use it. it packs a great punch against respiratory illness. why would I choose a injectable over my water soluble antibiotics? because with an injectable the dose is more consistent and not dependant on the amount drunken. also it gets into the blood stream more quickly and is a lot stronger. so if my bird sneezes progress this is what I'll be doing. I highly recommend this treatment for respiratory issues. I prefer to use a diabetic syringe because the needle is a LOT smaller although I have both types of syringes. what I do is use the keel bone as a guide. about 3 inches over into the muscle not too close to the keel or wing. then I dab the area with alcohol. this helps part the feathers nicely and exposes the skin. put the needle in with medication ensuring no bubbles then drew back on the plunger if you see blood your in the wrong area and need to reposition. once you draw back and no blood appears push the plunger in. this is easier than it sounds and very quick.I get a helper to hold the wings but usually mine don't even flinch when the injection is given. but just in case your helper will ensure the bird remains still for the process.if you have never given an injection this gets easier after the first time. do use the alcohol trust me it makes it much easier to see the skin of the breast! also cleans the area. you can get everything you need at the feed store. unless you want to use the diabetic needle. I'm a diabetic so I use my needles but you can get them from the pharmacy or order a box online from B&D needles. I recommend ordering a box to have on hand. the needles are A LOT smaller. and in my expirence easier to work with but if that's not possible a regular syringe from the feed store is just fine. you SHOULD see improvements in a couple of days or each day after using Tylan50. I hope this post is helpful. I would wait until I saw more signs of illness before treatment. such as mucus present breathing wheeze coughing or rattling. good luck to you. As SOON as you see any more symptoms start treatment immediately. this is what I will do. good luck to you and hope she gets better soon! I think I covered everything here and do hope I've helped. best wishes.

th.gif
This is way over my head
sad.png
. I really don't think I can do this!
Is it expensive? I really don't think my local feed store will have it!
barnie.gif
I didn't think It would be this bad.
Thank you so much and thanks for taking the time to write. I might need your help again soon.

Should I separate the sneezing hen from the other 2 hens or will they have already by now?

Realsis, I definitely agree that injections are best when dealibg with any animals, but is it true that you can put the injectible in drinkng water? Or do you have to buy the yellow powder if using in the water? What age can you start Tylan?

:th This is way over my head:( . I really don't think I can do this!
Is it expensive? I really don't think my local feed store will have it! :barnie I didn't think It would be this bad.
Thank you so much and thanks for taking the time to write. I might need your help again soon.

Should I separate the sneezing hen from the other 2 hens or will they have already by now?

You most certainly can do this! Don't panic, its really not difficult at all, just a little overwhelming when reading all the steps. I gave my first tylan injection yesterday to my three week old chick. However, I gave mine subcutaneously. Intramusculaly is definitely recommended and the preferred choice, but it can be done either way and because my chick is so little I was afraid to go deep enough for a muscle. Thankfully I work at a hospital also so injections aren't a big deal for me, although a chicken shot was a first :)

The medicine cost me about 12$ at a local feed store and syringes were less than a dollar. Get the smallest gauge needle you can. If you need help, or want anything explained better, private message me and I'll give you my phone number.

Best wishes!

hi yes you can do this! if you need any help pm me or call me too.I was equally as nervous when I gave my first breast injection.I promise you its fast and easy. you'll have your helper holding your chicken you will be able to CLEARLY see the skin when you use the alcohol to dab the area. tylan is cheap only 12 dollars. please trust me on this if I can do this successfully ANYONE can! I'm here for you. if it helps Google injecting chicken with tylan you will find step by step instructions. trust me its so fast and easy . first shots the most nerving. then you will see it gets easier. hang in there if you need me I'm here ok

I have 2 week old bantams that started sneezing a few days ago, actin ok otherwisr. Worried du to their age and size. Now today, I see that some of my adult girls are sneezing too :( I was hoping to do it in the water, can you even do tylan on 2 week olds?

I think it would be okay on two week olds, just a very small dose. However, I would give it via injection because the adult birds can have much more than the babies and it will be very hard to manage the dose given if its just in their water. It would be hard to know how much medicine to put in the water to begin with and then its hard to know if they drank some and how much they drank.

Thsnk you for the advice, I will be brave and try injections :) Do you know dosing for the bsbies? I also have 2 adult bantams and a few standards i would treat. How many days?

For adult birds, standard is 1/4 - 1/2 a CC (ml). 1/4 obviously for the smaller adult birds. For the babies, I would go for about 1/8 (.125) of a ml. That is the amount I've been giving my three week old and she's handled it fine. One shot per day for 3-5 days.

Back
Top Bottom