Pullet suddenly died - poison or freak accident?

allebasi4

Songster
Apr 23, 2020
Northern California
Well, it’s been a weird day. I had two chicks hatch (yay) but one of my older pullets randomly died.
I wanted to reach out to see if anyone might have an idea of what happened or if they’ve had this happen themselves.
All my 7 month old chickens were out free ranging as they normally do, and I was down in the yard working but not paying close attention to them. They all came over to me and I sat down and noticed one of my pullets, Red, was laying half under a bush (as they normally do) about 4 feet from me. The other chickens were around her as well. I wasn’t paying attention but all the sudden I heard a weird hiss or sort of like a hiss/cough noise and I look over and Red is flat on her back with a bloody mouth and nostrils. The only good thing is it looked like she died very quickly. She closed her eyes and turned pale.
There were no warning signs before this happened... she was happily ranging with the rest of the flock, eating/drinking/pooping and I wasn’t paying close attention but she didn’t appear to be laboring or anything... but maybe that’s why she laid down.
My first thought was that a cat got her, but there was no sign of a cat or other injuries... then I thought maybe snake because it appeared to happen SO fast but we don’t really have snakes like that here. Then I thought maybe she freakishly broke her neck? Got her head stuck under some grass but she wasn’t stuck on anything when I picked her up.
Now I’m thinking she got poisioned as we do have ivy and oleander around but they hadn’t previously touched it. I looked in her throat as best as I could to see if maybe she choked and there was blood but her last poop didn’t have blood. Does this sound like poisoning to you? The other 3 chickens seem fine and I figure if they got whatever she did they would be dead by now too.
Sorry for the long post, I’m just so shocked as it was so unexpected & happened so fast.

I wouldn't expect poison in a free range situation.
There are probably at least 20 things that can kill a chicken suddenly with no symptoms - just like with humans.
The only way to know for sure is with a necropsy at your state poultry diagnostic lab. What state are you in?

I wouldn't expect poison in a free range situation.
There are probably at least 20 things that can kill a chicken suddenly with no symptoms - just like with humans.
The only way to know for sure is with a necropsy at your state poultry diagnostic lab. What state are you in?
Very true. We’re in California...
I just hope whatever it was doesn’t spread through the flock but I’m definitely going to keep a closer eye now

That is precisely the reason I always get a necropsy with full lab workup because with a rare breed, it is imperative I know what killed one. Necropsies at Davis are very reasonable if not free.

California Animal Health & Food Safety Laboratory
University of California, School of Veterinary Med
620 West Health Science Drive
Davis, California 95616
Phone: 530-752-8709

Excellent advice given - I think landing on the back is something of a hallmark of heart attacks, which can hit at any time, but I have never had the blood present. Would definitely send for analysis for peace of mind if nothing else if you can. Don't freeze- refrigerate.
Thanks for the reply, we actually buried her pretty soon after and I agree that a necropsy would have been a good thing to do but I don’t have the heart to dig her up now...
I did some more reading on heart attacks and it does seem like that’s what happened. I know it’s an umbrella term but “sudden death syndrome” seems likely as she landed on her back. Apparently it happens more often in fast growing broiler chickens but one of their ventricles can explode which could cause internal bleeding... freak thing I guess :/

Thanks for the reply, we actually buried her pretty soon after and I agree that a necropsy would have been a good thing to do but I don’t have the heart to dig her up now...
I did some more reading on heart attacks and it does seem like that’s what happened. I know it’s an umbrella term but “sudden death syndrome” seems likely as she landed on her back. Apparently it happens more often in fast growing broiler chickens but one of their ventricles can explode which could cause internal bleeding... freak thing I guess :/

It's always a terrible thing when it happens. My very first rooster died around 8 months of age that same way- found him on his back. Others who have obviously had organ failure as evidenced by purplish comb and labored breathing can go very fast- though some can be nursed along by draining their abdomens -- but when they are good one day and purplish/labored breathing/dead within a day or two- when that's happened generally they just kind of slump over forward or on their sides, so the mechanics of the sudden death must be different.

I'm sorry for your loss. If you end up with a second one I would definitely send it in to make sure there's not something else happening - I bury mine too!

Back
Top Bottom