Pullet taking two hours to lay at 4am??

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
My Golden Comet (Ginger) has been going in to lay earlier and earlier. She must have a 23 hour egg cycle, because she's started to enter the nest box at 4am! I see her in there for about 2 hours... just kind of laying around, pulsating her butt at the camera, and nodding off. I've also seen her lay within 30 minutes, but it's usually later in the morning when the other chickens are out and about (FOMO?)

Please tell me this is normal. All seems well otherwise. I just didn't think a chicken would lay in the dead of night. I get extra concerned for her, as she's a sex-link. Photo because she's amazing. Thanks everyone.

IMG_5490.jpeg

I want to know how did she get from the roost to the nest at 4am(dark)?
New layers can be rather funky, things will smooth out in time.

As long as an egg came out everything is fine.
Different hens go about laying their eggs in different ways. Pullets especially have to work out when they need to go to the nest and when they need to leave. I've had pullets spend an afternoon on the nest, get up and head out to range only to drop the egg a few metres away outside.
Like many things, efficient egg laying takes practice.

Upon further investigation, she's NOT taking two hours to lay. She lays immediately, then uses it as an excuse to finish the night in the nest box. 😑

Clever girl indeed.

Thank you for the reassurances everyone.

Back
Top Bottom