pullet that occasionally falls over and can"t get up

VAchick61

Hatching
6 Years
May 1, 2013
I have a 12 weeks old Rhode Island Red pullet that I occasionally find on her side and she can"t right herself. Once you pick her up and set her on her feet she seems fine. God knows how long she has been down though. The last time I found her down she was flat on her back! The under side of one wing was bleeding. I think she hurt it trying to right herself. I put her in a cage in the garage and put Neosporin on the wing for a few days and she healed up well.
Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks Golder Feather for the thought. I use a Purina feed (chick starter for first 18-20 weeks) that says it is nutritionally balanced. She is a good weight and height as compared to the rest of her sisters so I know she is getting her fair share.

What could I give them to boost vitamin E?

Human vitamin E. Capsules opened and put into the water or upon the feed. TSC also sells various poultry vitamin supplements.

However, vitamin supplements are not a cure all for all things, certainly not for diseases.
What one does is try a few things and see if there is any improvement. Vitamin E does need Selenium, I believe, to be absorbed properly. It has shown to be effective in helping with crook neck or wry neck, but a chicken that falls and cannot right itself could have a host of issues that vitamins will never cure.

Since none of us can diagnose the pullet from afar, of course, you have to consider other options beyond merely providing some dietary supplement. Trip to a vet, (wildly expensive and often futile if the vet isn't up on birds) or even culling.
Husbandy includes a lot of trial and error. Best wishes as you try to sort this out.

Last edited:
Hey Fred. Looks like you have RIRs too. Thanks for your thoughts. It is a mystery. They have good feed that really should be providing what they need at this stage of their developement. In every other way she is normal and she doesn't fall over everyday. As soon as she's righted...she is off and pecking around with her sisters. We check them everyday to make sure she's up and we find her down maybe every 8 or so days. Just thought someone else may have had this same experience and understood it. Meanwhile we will keep doing the same with her.

Back
Top Bottom