pullet unable to stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pied Piper, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Pied Piper

Pied Piper Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    One of our 24 week old pullets turned up with her right wing hanging down to the ground. She was sluggish and didn't move around much, nor did she forage with the others when out in the yard. I palpated her wing, but was unable to discover any fractures. I thought it might be a hairline, or possible a damaged tendon or muscle. I figure 8 wrapped the wing to help keep it in correct position for healing. She acted as if she couldn't walk with the wrap, so I adjusted it. The next day I decided to crate her to isolate from the others and keep her quiet for healing.
    In the morning she was stuck in the corner of the crate, upside down, with her head twisted. so I thought I would see if she would do better propped up in a nest box in the coop since she's very bonded with the other barred rock and might like company. Before I could come back with fresh water, she had gotten out of the box, down the ramp and was upside down under it. I put her back in the crate. propped up and she ate and drank a bit. The next day she couldn't stand up, She can move her legs and toes, but doesn't seem to be able to get them under her. When I stand her up, she just falls over to the side, and her hock joint seems to be stiff.
    These pullets were vaccinated for Marek's, are on a good quality feed, but have not started laying. They have a clean coop, outside fenced yard, and are free range when I'm home.
    Any advice as to what could be going on and what to do next would be greatly appreciated!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry to hear about your hen! Unfortunately, my first guess would be Marek's Disease. That progressive paralysis is very common in birds with Marek's. Being vaccinated doesn't mean that she can't get it.

Here is a good link on Marek's for further reading: The Great Big Giant Marek's Disease FAQ Maybe it will help you decide whether this is Marek's or not.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would say it sounds like Marek's too. But since she was vaccinated, I would be strongly into other reasons. I am wondering if she's having seizures? And ending up flipped around? Maybe think about putting her in a sling and taping her in? (mine was a Houdini) .

At 24 weeks I may try B vitamins, even human. She could have a deficiency .

4. Pied Piper

Feb 10, 2013
    Thank you for the response. I was afraid it might be Marek's especially since it seems to be progressing. Today she is breathing with her mouth open and not eating. I will check out the link you provided. If it is Marek's would it be kinder to put her down? I know they can survive it, but she doesn't look well at all.

5. Pied Piper

Feb 10, 2013
    Seminolewind, I don't believe it's seizures. As soon as I set her down, she tries to stand and ends up flipping over and just lays there. It seems like she can't control her spastic legs. It doesn't happen except when she's set on her feet. In the crate she makes no effort to get up.
    I can try vitamins, but shouldn't she have gotten enough in the chick starter they've been on?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try the vitamins, just to make sure it isn't a deficiency, or neurological issue going on besides Mareks. Poultry vitamins in the water, or medications such a s Poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-Drench are easy to dose each bird separately or put in the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by