Pullet vs. Roo

SassyT

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
Marana, AZ
he.gif

Ok so here is the age old question of How do you tell a Pullet from a Roo at chick stage. I have heard so many ways and I am upset because my favorite EE is a (Big Red) Roo and now Betty White my Silkie is Mr. White.

This is what I have been taught. On their bottoms if they have a small pimple in the middle then a roo. If you turn them on their backs and they remain calm for about a minute indicates a pullet. I know that on some breeds you can tell by color. Is it really a guess or is there really a way of knowing. I hate having to get rid of my favorite "hens" because we have a wonderful rooster already. Please help with info.

I wish I could help but just don't know. I've "heard" when they just born if they have solid spots on their heads vs. spread out color they are pullets...I haven't heard the one about the pimple on their bottoms; that's interesting!

Ive had pretty good luck with guessing by putting my fingers in a (Calmed) box or pen with chicks (If you put a bright colored nail polish on, it works best) but stick your fingers in the pen about chick head height and wiggle your fingers, and usually at that point you can tell by which ones run up to attack and stand up and throw their heads up high (roos) the ones that hide and go to a corner are usually pullets, but ya know, sometimes they dont stick to the genderizing catagories lol. but after doing that i look at tail growth and comb. the larger the more likely its a roo.
Those combined, i got one roo and 4 hens. but its all a guessing game.
Unless you look it up online how to Really sex them, by flipping them over and blowing on there bum, and i geuss the girls will wink with just a hole and the boys with a lil button thing lol
But i havent learned to excel in that kind of sexing lol

Last edited:
I think the "pimple on the butt" is referring to vent sexing. Unless you know how to do this or if you have sex linked chickens there really is no other way to sex chickens when they are chicks.

Mine are 10 weeks old, and I am still trying to decide, some I am still out on.

If a chick in question does the chest bump thing, is that a sure sign that is a roo? Cause I thought that one was really looking hen like, dang.

I thought colour sexing only worked with specific breeds. And vent sexing was super complicated?

2 of my pullets like to chest bump each other, so that doesnt really help either.

Back
Top Bottom