Pullet vs Roos - BR chicks

amshizzle

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2015
Fort Worth, Texas
I fear that Ideal might have given me more roos than pullets. I know they are only 2.5 weeks old but they are feathering quicker than I expected! It looks like I might have two roos and one pullet despite ordering all pullets.... what do you think? I know it is merely a guess right now but I just thought I'd ask.....

IMHO 2 weeks is WAY too early to tell.

If you don't have a feather sexable breed or one with huge rooster combs, it isn't clear until 10+ weeks. .

I have to say, those are interesting birds
hmm.png

I think the one on the right is a pullet.

the one on the far left looks to be a cockerel. Large, undefined head spot, pure yellow legs (or are they white? It's hard to tell. maybe the slipped you a Marans instead).

the bird in the middle kind of looks like a mess, no offense. My first thought with all that white was cockerel, but the legs are dark. they're so thick, though! Honestly, I have no idea on that one, it's got conflicting indicators.

would you please continue to update us on how they turn out?

The far left does have pure yellow/orange legs but I agree... I am starting to think Maran rather than BR or maybe a mixture of the two. His chest does appear to be a pale yellow color yet his wings white/black like that of a BR.

My middle bird is so confusing....with those mass amount of feathers I was SURE this was a cockerel but her/his feet have only gotten darker with age.

My last bird of the right seems all pullet to me... which is why my middle bird is all the more confusing!

This has been a bad ideal experience.... especially given it was my first experience!

I will keep this thread updated as they grow!

I have to say, those are interesting birds
hmm.png

I think the one on the right is a pullet.

the one on the far left looks to be a cockerel. Large, undefined head spot, pure yellow legs (or are they white? It's hard to tell. maybe the slipped you a Marans instead).

the bird in the middle kind of looks like a mess, no offense. My first thought with all that white was cockerel, but the legs are dark. they're so thick, though! Honestly, I have no idea on that one, it's got conflicting indicators.

would you please continue to update us on how they turn out?

X2 on donrae's post.

yellow legs would be a Rock, Marans have white/pink skin and shanks. So I think that one is a barred Rock cockerel.

That middle bird is sure a puzzle.

Better pics of the combs, legs, and "normal" upright standing pics would certainly help but, from what i see i would say cockrel on the left, pullet to the far right, and another pullet in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom