Pullet with a broken leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 64fyermun, Jun 19, 2011.

1. 64fyermun

64fyermun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    One of my 4 month old BR pullets has a broken leg. Is this something that she could recover from? She is holding the leg up and just hopping around. Anything would help! Thanks!

2. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    We just treated a young rooster with a broken leg and he is getting better. use vet wrap from the farm store and popscicle sticks to make a splint for her. Put a layer of the vet wrap first, then the 2 sticks on either side (shorten if necessary) and then secure the sticks with more vet wrap. it may take 2-3 weeks to heal up. Ours is able to bear weight on it now after 2 weeks. Make sure to check that it isn't too tight periodically. If the foot gets too swollen loosen the wrap. Some swelling is normal. You can also dissolve 5 regular uncoated aspirins in 1 gallon of water for pain for the first few days. provide as the only water. Also, isolate her for a few days to make sure she isn't picked on by the others. We now have our young rooster in the young chick pen outside but had him inside for about a week to keep him still and quiet. I hope this helps you. [​IMG]

3. 64fyermun

64fyermun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Thanks so much for the help. I dropped something on her leg about an hour ago, and now she has her foot down, but is just kind of limping. I feel like I am going to throw up! Thanks for your help and I am going to keep an eye on her, and if it seems she's struggling I will go with what you suggested.

4. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If she is putting weight on it, it is probably not broken. My DH accidently whacked our rooster with a herding stick when we were rushing to put them away during an approaching thunderstorm. He felt horrible. We could see an obvious step-down in the bone on the leg. Accidents do happen. Sounds like she may just have a sprain and you can just keep an eye on her. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by