Pullet with a broken leg

64fyermun

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
One of my 4 month old BR pullets has a broken leg. Is this something that she could recover from? She is holding the leg up and just hopping around. Anything would help! Thanks!

We just treated a young rooster with a broken leg and he is getting better. use vet wrap from the farm store and popscicle sticks to make a splint for her. Put a layer of the vet wrap first, then the 2 sticks on either side (shorten if necessary) and then secure the sticks with more vet wrap. it may take 2-3 weeks to heal up. Ours is able to bear weight on it now after 2 weeks. Make sure to check that it isn't too tight periodically. If the foot gets too swollen loosen the wrap. Some swelling is normal. You can also dissolve 5 regular uncoated aspirins in 1 gallon of water for pain for the first few days. provide as the only water. Also, isolate her for a few days to make sure she isn't picked on by the others. We now have our young rooster in the young chick pen outside but had him inside for about a week to keep him still and quiet. I hope this helps you.
smile.png

Thanks so much for the help. I dropped something on her leg about an hour ago, and now she has her foot down, but is just kind of limping. I feel like I am going to throw up! Thanks for your help and I am going to keep an eye on her, and if it seems she's struggling I will go with what you suggested.

If she is putting weight on it, it is probably not broken. My DH accidently whacked our rooster with a herding stick when we were rushing to put them away during an approaching thunderstorm. He felt horrible. We could see an obvious step-down in the bone on the leg. Accidents do happen. Sounds like she may just have a sprain and you can just keep an eye on her. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom