Pullet with leg swelling x-rays included

Mama_in_the_Dell

Songster
5 Years
Sep 22, 2018
Senoia
I have a very special pullet who has had very swollen leg for at least the last 10 days. So special that I even took her to the vet yesterday and paid for X-rays only for them to have no answers. At least she was given medications that I hope help. One for inflammation and the other an antibiotic in case an infection could be causing this. In all honesty these X-rays aren’t very clear. Since starting the medication I think some of the swelling may have gone down because I can feel the bone where the arrows are in the pictures. I think this may be the problem area. Not sure if there is a tendon issue or dislocation there but it doesn’t seem right and very tender to the touch. Anyone have any insights or can read these X-rays better?

Attachments

• 5F0A4CF8-2E67-4E1A-8400-D33D5E9A6C64.jpeg
    5F0A4CF8-2E67-4E1A-8400-D33D5E9A6C64.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 99F7BC8F-3559-4FD1-9C69-17446D477235.jpeg
    99F7BC8F-3559-4FD1-9C69-17446D477235.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 19
@casportpony are you available to take a look at this? @Eggcessive ?

All I can offer is the possibility of a sprain and advise to keep her immobile to allow healing. Continue the meds as they may help.

There could be a remote chance that this could involve the sciatic nerve which could indicate Marek's.

When you mentioned she's a pullet, I assume she's not yet of laying age. Marek's usually starts to produce symptoms around eight to ten weeks of age.

I am not an expert on X-rays of the leg, but I would have to agree that it could be swelling from a joint or tissue injury. I would probably, limit activity and any jumping or roosting, and use the anti-inflammatory drugs. Do you have a rooster or cockerel that might have hurt her while trying to breed her?

@casportpony are you available to take a look at this? @Eggcessive ?

All I can offer is the possibility of a sprain and advise to keep her immobile to allow healing. Continue the meds as they may help.

There could be a remote chance that this could involve the sciatic nerve which could indicate Marek's.

When you mentioned she's a pullet, I assume she's not yet of laying age. Marek's usually starts to produce symptoms around eight to ten weeks of age.
She’s around 30 weeks old. She’s an Ameraucana so I don’t anticipate her laying for at least 3 more months at the earliest. I keep a closed flock except for chicks I get from breeders. The vet mentioned Mareks as a possibility but seems unlikely to me and I didn’t know it would cause tissue swelling like this. She gets around fine on her other leg but I do try to keep her contained more as to not cause her more discomfort.

I am not an expert on X-rays of the leg, but I would have to agree that it could be swelling from a joint or tissue injury. I would probably, limit activity and any jumping or roosting, and use the anti-inflammatory drugs. Do you have a rooster or cockerel that might have hurt her while trying to breed her?
She is on an anti-inflammatory and antibiotic since Monday. No improvement so far except I think I can feel more of her bone at the joint and it doesn’t feel right. It feels sharp like there should be cartilage there or something. I do have a rooster where she was housed. So it’s possible he could have done it.

When we find something like this going on with a leg in a young chicken, we often can't tell whether we're dealing with an injury or an avian virus. There is another virus, similar to Marek's, that causes symptoms at around five months. It's avian leucosis. My flock has it.

So what we do is wait and watch while treating it as an injury. An injury always heals, but does require at least six weeks. If the injury doesn't improve in that time, especially if the symptoms worsen, then we suspect the avian virus.

I am sorry for injecting more alarm into your situation, but this comes with the territory when we keep chickens. It sounds bad, but there are ways we cope with the worst scenarios. That's why you joined BYC. We help you through these things.

One extra thing you can do to help your pullet heal is to give her vitamin B-complex daily as it can strengthen nerve connections in the legs, helping to hurry he healing process

Back
Top Bottom