Pullet with "slipping" knee joint

Wyo87

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2021
Hello,

One if my pullets, Summer, is limping tonight, and on further inspection it looks like her "knee" joint is slipping when she puts weight on it. I attached a video, please excuse the loud breathing. šŸ˜³ Other than the limp, she doesn't act like she is in pain, is happy to come get treats, and was calm when we were testing her motion. It seems like her Achilles tendon might be injured, because when we pressed gently on the top back of the joint, the slipping leg would only extend about a third as far as her other leg.

Please advise! I'm a pretty new chicken owner, so I don't know if that's something she can heal from. Thank you!

Videos need to be uploaded to youtube and a link provided.

Hopefully we can make better suggestions when we see her in action.
Ok! I'll try and repost the video, but she has apparently fixed herself. When I checked on her Wednesday, she was back to normal looking joint function. I'm still worried, and would like an answer for any future instances, so hopefully someone will recognize it from the video. Thanks!

Hello,

One if my pullets, Summer, is limping tonight, and on further inspection it looks like her "knee" joint is slipping when she puts weight on it. I attached a video, please excuse the loud breathing. šŸ˜³ Other than the limp, she doesn't act like she is in pain, is happy to come get treats, and was calm when we were testing her motion. It seems like her Achilles tendon might be injured, because when we pressed gently on the top back of the joint, the slipping leg would only extend about a third as far as her other leg.

Please advise! I'm a pretty new chicken owner, so I don't know if that's something she can heal from. Thank you!
Here is the Video link. Sorry for posting it incorrectly before.

Ok! I'll try and repost the video, but she has apparently fixed herself. When I checked on her Wednesday, she was back to normal looking joint function. I'm still worried, and would like an answer for any future instances, so hopefully someone will recognize it from the video. Thanks!
If it was a slipped tendon, it getting back to the correct place would be a big step in the right direction. Sounds like it may have popped itself back in place from your description.

It would have felt like a loose band under the skin and her toes would not splay when leg was extended or curl when bent.

Could also have been the joint, since the range if movement was restricted.

Once a joint or tendon slips, it becomes more prone to do so, so you may want to do a supportive wrap to help stabilize the joint for a few days. Fortunately, young birds are quick to heal up, just make sure to check any wrapping often to make sure it's not getting too tight if she's still growing.

I'm glad she seems to be back to normal.
I'm not sure what was going on there, possibly the tendon was slipping out, but it corrected itself.

I would give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day for a week, then I would taper it to once a day for 3 days a week for a couple of weeks. B vitamins (especially B2 Riboflavin) can help support leg health.

See that she's eating her chick starter and drinking. Hopefully you won't have any more issues.

Back
Top Bottom