pullet with sore foot

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
I wrote about her earlier but it is not going away...this is the third week. She was beat up by something (probably another chicken)...we noticed shortly after that that she was lame and put her in a small pen so that she can rest the foot and will not be landing on it every time she flies down from the roost. She only has a slight limp, but I don't want to let her go as I know it will become worse if she keeps pounding it. I know the problem is in the bottom of her foot because I saw her inspecting the bottom of the foot one day, and pecking it :rolleyes (oh, THAT helps!). Saturday she allowed us to carefully check out both her feet, and there is nothing to be seen, no visible swelling, scrapes, cuts, marks, nothing. And I compared it with the good foot, and they are identical. Yet she continues to limp slightly and rests the bad foot by holding it up, and walks in a crouched position, though straighter than a couple of weeks ago. I feel so sorry for her in there, she is so lonely. Is there anything else we can do to expedite healing? I thought about splinting it, but I think it would just stress her out. If there is something broken, wouldn't there be swelling? Oh, to clarify, she has been in the cage three weeks. Not sure exactly when she hurt the foot, sometime before that.

Last edited:
No one has any ideas, huh?
hmm.png

Quote:
Thanks for bumping up again, seminolewind. She is ok now. We ended up just resting her foot, keeping her confined in a cage. After about four weeks, she recovered, and is now back with the flock.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom