Pullet with splayed legs

Popsy

Songster
13 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Raymond, CA
I have a 7 month old Wyandotte pullet whose legs suddenly don't seem to work. Some days she can barely stand, yet others she walks (with difficulty) around their big yard. What could cause this in an adult chicken and is there anything I can do for her?

Do you have photos of her?

A video of how she moves may be helpful. Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

What do you feed, including treats?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
Is your Pullet laying eggs yet?

I would start by examining her for any injury/bruising or swelling that may be causing difficulties walking. Do you have a rooster/cockerel that may have injured her?
Could your pullet have jumped from a high roost and injured herself?

I'd provide the pullet with 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. She may benefit from extra protein if she's on layer feed, give her a bit of egg, fish or meat.

Hard to know what's going on with her. A pullet that age could be showing signs of Marek's disease. If she's not come into lay, then she may be having some reproductive difficulties.

If you happen to lose her and want to find out what was ailing her, then sending the body to your state lab would give you information.

Do you have photos of her?

A video of how she moves may be helpful. Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

What do you feed, including treats?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
Is your Pullet laying eggs yet?

I would start by examining her for any injury/bruising or swelling that may be causing difficulties walking. Do you have a rooster/cockerel that may have injured her?
Could your pullet have jumped from a high roost and injured herself?

I'd provide the pullet with 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. She may benefit from extra protein if she's on layer feed, give her a bit of egg, fish or meat.

Hard to know what's going on with her. A pullet that age could be showing signs of Marek's disease. If she's not come into lay, then she may be having some reproductive difficulties.

If you happen to lose her and want to find out what was ailing her, then sending the body to your state lab would give you information.
I have checked her over and can't see or feel any injuries. I don't have any roosters. She is fed Purina layer crumble along with a little scratch and meal worms as treats. She is not laying yet and I checked with the person I bought her from and she is not vaccinated for Mareks.
These are the first chickens on this property in years.
She seemed like she was getting better, then I saw her step in a hole and since then she has gotten worse. I'll try to get a video today.

Back
Top Bottom