pullet ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nova022, Sep 21, 2012.

1. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    This HenRetta a seven week old White Rock. She looks like a pullet to me, but some of her actions make me wonder. She charges the other chicks and flys up and jumps on them. When I offer treats she pushes her way to the front and will snatch it away from the others. Her voice is much louder than the others, but so far she justs cheeps. Are these normal actions for a pullet?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 7 week old = Pullet! A pretty one too! Shes head hen. In a chicken system, theres a pecking order, theres a head hen who gets everything first, and bullies the others so they know whos boss (some are more gentle rulers then others, but usually its just a few feathers missing here and there). A rooster tends to have a different approach. I've noticed the roosters tend to hang out in the back during treat time (at least around 7 weeks), but they also will chase the pullets to try and grab their necks to breed, whereas hens just runs towards them, grabbing anywhere. But really it depends on the chicken itself and how the different behavoirs are.

3. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Thanks for the info CochinBrahmaLover. I have so much to learn about chickens. I had no idea there were so many different kinds and that they each have their own personality.

4. jules1329

jules1329 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    South-Central Kentucky
    Our head biddy is just brutal with the other hens! But our roo is rougher on her than he is the others. It all evens out! ;)

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a pullet

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    White Plymouth Rock pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by