Pullets and adults are together now, wich feed

lo pro chicks

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2015
So last night I introduced the 2 roos and 2 pullets, they are between 10 and 12 weeks. The 2 hens are on layer feed and thats what i intend on feeding every bird thay goes into the run with the established flock. Is this ok to do?

Thanks, Dan

Not really. The chicks should really not get that added calcium til at least 16 weeks, and the rooster never needs it. You might consider feeding another feed, such as flock raiser, grower, etc. to the whole flock, and put out a separate bowl of oyster shell for any layers who need it. This can be done indefinitely for any flock, regardless of age or sex.

http://www.hyline.com/aspx/redbook/redbook.aspx?s=5&p=36

I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and all molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

So if i leave grower and layer crumbles out and throw crushed oyster shell out will things be ok? They should pick up what they want right?

Im asking because the laying hens are tearing up the grower feed even though there laying feed is 5 foot away and the crushed oysters are 8 feet away.

Thanks

Last edited:
They're probably tearing up the grower because it contains more protein.... that they may be craving.

I'd pull the layer feed out....only 2 of your 6 birds need it.

The layers will eat oyster shells as they need the calcium, I leave it out all the time in a separate container

Just went to check on the teenagers and i feel like a horrible parent.. its raining and the hens are keeping them out of the dry area under the coupe, i did put up a piece of luwan this morning to try and shelter them out of the rain a bit.

Last edited:
My 5 week old pbr's arent going to get introduced till they are full sized!! I raised them and have them trained to lay in my hand when i put my hand in the brooder. Theres no way im letting my babies get picked on..

I have 3 little ones and I won't let them in the coop until they are 15/16 weeks old and can eat the layer feed. I have 6 hens. Will introduce them while free ranging in a few weeks. They are only a week old atm.
I would feed layer since 2 are too young and two are Roos and only 2 actually need it

All of my flock eat layer crumbles, and I add some herbs and extras throughout their food or as treats. Oyster shell and recycled egg shell on the side. Everyone lays big eggs.

Back
Top Bottom