Pullets and Egg Football

yopollo

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 1, 2014
Okay so my girls are roosting on the roost bar and from what I have read it is good to open up the nest boxes and put the "practice" egg in the boxes. I did this yesterday and this morning when I went out to let the girls in the run I opened the nest box to see how it looked. LOL and they had played egg football with the practice eggs they kicked them out all the way to the other side of the coop. I was wondering if this is something I should worry about or just replace the eggs and they will learn?

Okay so my girls are roosting on the roost bar and from what I have read it is good to open up the nest boxes and put the "practice" egg in the boxes. I did this yesterday and this morning when I went out to let the girls in the run I opened the nest box to see how it looked. LOL and they had played egg football with the practice eggs they kicked them out all the way to the other side of the coop. I was wondering if this is something I should worry about or just replace the eggs and they will learn?

It may not be the chickens kicking them out. Is it possible that you may have rats or other varmints that might be doing it ??

Really? I haven't seen any droppings or signs of chewed areas or anything. The coop is always closed at night and there are no gaps. I am always in the coop in the morning and at night. But I suppose this is a possibility. If so I have something I need to address. I try to keep all the scraps they get and don't eat, picked up, just to avoid this situation. I really wouldn't have thought this the case but if this where what would be the best method to rid the coop of it? Thank you for your input : )

Mine did the same thing. Everyday they played soccer with the golf balls. I would just put it back in the nest boxes. My big girls have been laying for a year now and my little girls started in late feb. They sometime still play ball! But their eggs are always in the nest boxes.

Mine did the same thing. Everyday they played soccer with the golf balls. I would just put it back in the nest boxes. My big girls have been laying for a year now and my little girls started in late feb. They sometime still play ball! But their eggs are always in the nest boxes.

The only time my nest eggs move is if my dog gets in the coop without me noticing him. I have watched him he will get them and bury them. Real ones too. He does not eat them just plays Easter Bunny.

Back
Top Bottom