Pullets are 20 weeks old - will they lay this year?

soloequestrian

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2019
I have 9 pullets that I hatched in August (well, my lovely broody hatched them really...). We're down to about 9 hours of daylight now (north of Scotland) - is there any chance any of them will start laying this year or will I be waiting for spring? They are a variety of breeds - Buff Orpington, olive egger, Speckled Sussex, CC Legbar, Exchequor Leghorn, Salmon Favourelle and Rhode Island Red.
Thanks!

My girls are 17 weeks old. Live on the coast in CA. What behavior do I watch for to know if they are ready to lay? When should I open a nesting box? I have five hens ( 1 Ameriacuna 2 Domonique 2 buff brahama) how many nesting boxes should I prepare?

My girls are 17 weeks old. Live on the coast in CA. What behavior do I watch for to know if they are ready to lay? When should I open a nesting box? I have five hens ( 1 Ameriacuna 2 Domonique 2 buff brahama) how many nesting boxes should I prepare?
2 boxes, maybe 3
Their comb and wattles will turn red and they'll start squatting when you go to touch them, eggs are not too far behind then.

Back
Top Bottom