Pullets are laying age but still no eggs (in extreme heat)

Time for a butt check!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then if it appears they are laying, might want to lock em up.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

A better indicator of a hen being ready to lay is the texture of her face and head. Of course these two things are very close to her comb. Her face should be rough or bumpy in appearance sort of like a very overly ripe strawberry.
Ooh, I did not know that. Thanks!
Time for a butt check!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then if it appears they are laying, might want to lock em up.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
Thanks a lot, aart! Yeah, I usually let my chickens free range daily, but I prefer letting them out in the evening, even though a couple of my family members let them out in the afternoon without my permission, and it's really annoying, lol. =P
I looked over the article, and I could try the 'butt check.' Most of them are pretty tolerant of being petted, but they probably won't appreciate me doing that to them, haha. I actually do not have nesting boxes for them yet, but they have a dog house they can get in for shelter, and of course, they could lay in there, too. I did put a mini tennis ball in the back of it, though. :)

Back
Top Bottom