Pullets Coming Of Age Questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by doublejfarm, Jun 20, 2011.

1. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    I have two BC Marans that are 17 weeks old. What can I expect? Should I be looking for eggs soon? Will they be dark brown? All my other hens lay very pale brown eggs. I have been waiting what seems like forever for them to lay. I bought them for dark eggs how much longer should I have to wait?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  3. Mrs. Cannon

Mrs. Cannon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Vandalia, IL
    Mine have usually started laying from around 24 weeks to 28 weeks, I'm not sure about others, but all mine shave always started laying a little later than my other chickens. If their combs and wattles are really starting to get red then they should be layin soon. Also the pulley may not be laying at her darkest the first dozen or so eggs, so just give her time and it will definitely be worth it [​IMG].
    They are a wonderful breed!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The "squat" may be the best indicator they are about to lay, though the comb and wattles reddening happens then, too, or maybe a little sooner.

I hope you end up with the very dark eggs you want. Evidently this varies among Marans, from what I've read. I've never had one, myself.

5. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I have a little girl who started at 22 weeks this year,,,but generally what others have said.around 6 months.
    It's worth the wait.
    Good Luck................[​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I got an egg today the pullet was 18 weeks & 3 days. YEE HAW!!!

7. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    I have 4 cuckoo Marans (and a variety of others) that hatched on Feb 4. I have ONE girl laying...a Maran for 6 days now. So thats like...17 weeks huh? Her eggs are jut a regular brown and very cute and small. Im hoping they get darker and bigger of course but happy none the less. It doesnt hurt that she is my favorite girl either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by