Pullets Dying HELP!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yvdbrink, May 5, 2008.

1. yvdbrink

yvdbrink New Egg

May 5, 2008
    Help

I have sal sex link pullets that are two months old and they have started pilling on top of one another and the ones on the bottom die. What causes this and how do I prevent it?

HELP!!

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

They are too cold & the ones on the bottom are being smothered. Just my guess.

Get a hotter lamp (or two) and make sure they have enough room to be warm and move away from it...are they in the coop?

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Have you given them a roost to sit on at night? This generally keeps them from piling, which is something they do when they need warmth or are scared.

4. yvdbrink

yvdbrink New Egg

May 5, 2008
    they have roost what can scare them?

They live in a well vented barn with heatlamps if they need them and we have put in roosts and we rounded the corners.

Thank you for your help so far.

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

If they have a roost..and are not yet useing them. This is what I would do, Go in after dark...and pick each one of them up, gently, as to not scare them, and place them on the roost, If there are too many to do at once, just do a few each night. Eventually they will all get the idea..and will start roosting. This takes time and patience....but is better than loseing them to pileing.

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    When you say "well vented barn" what does this mean? You do not want a draft.

Are they piling under the heat lamps?

How many heatlamps and where are they located?(How close to the ground? How far apart?)

How high are your roosts?

How cold does is it where you are?(Especially at night)

How many pullets are we talking about?(How big of a space?)

How do you know they are piling and then trampling each other?(What the dead bodies look like, where they are, how many are there, when are they dying)

Hope we can figure out the problem! Sorry you lost some.

-Kim

Last edited: May 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by