Pullets eating each other’s bum feathers

They are probably safer than birds confined and smaller roofless enclosure...think 'fishing in a barrel'.
Mine are currently in an 80'X80' garden with 6ft high fencing for the winter. No top. During the rest of the year, I have them contained to 200-300ft of movable netting.

Update:

Switched food over to a 20%protien flock raiser. Before I got home my husband had made a “mix” with the new feed, the old feed, split peas, oyster shell, grit and some scratch grains. All of which I was fine with except the scratch grains but I didn’t say anything cause he was real proud of himself.

Even through the scratch is in there it seems to be working. Pecking has stopped and feathers are returning to the thighs of the birds that were getting picked on.

Also seems as through they are not “treasure hunting” through the mix. I was worried they would only pick out the scratch and dump the rest but thankfully that is not happening.

Also added some roosting bars in the run which seem to be getting used. Two birds are consistently sleeping outside in the run as well.

Before I got home my husband had made a “mix” with the new feed, the old feed, split peas, oyster shell, grit and some scratch grains. All of which I was fine with except the scratch grains
Old feed and new feed is fine....everything else should really be given separately.
Glad the extra protein seems to have helped.

Back
Top Bottom