Pullets - Expect eggs in the Fall and into Winter?

Yard full o' rocks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Cartersville, Georgia
I have 18 girls that will be POL around the first week of November. All are Plymouth Rock breeds, 4 Barred Rocks, 3 Black Rocks, 1 Splash rock, 4 Blue rocks, 6-7 Columbian Rocks. I understand that plymouth rocks are decent cold weather layers, but should I expect them to begin laying in November, or will I be likely waiting until Spring??

THANKS

I think they should start laying and continue, especially here in the south....

I would advice to put a light on to simulate 12 to 14 hours of sunshine. That really helps ours to lay more continuously through fall and winter....

Hope this helps!

I have 27 week old pullets that I expect to start laying any day now. The breeder I got them from said they all should lay in the winter, maybe less but the Wyandottes and RIR and BR should not completely stop. Not sure about the EE. I will add an hour or two of light so they have maybe 11-12 hours.

Yard full o' rocks :

I have 18 girls that will be POL around the first week of November. All are Plymouth Rock breeds, 4 Barred Rocks, 3 Black Rocks, 1 Splash rock, 4 Blue rocks, 6-7 Columbian Rocks. I understand that plymouth rocks are decent cold weather layers, but should I expect them to begin laying in November, or will I be likely waiting until Spring??

THANKS

How did the Columbian Rocks turn out, any pictures?? I am still torn between getting some LF Columbians next year or getting the breeder bantam Columbians I missed out on this year. My Silver Pencilled bantams will be 18 weeks on 10/23 and they started laying 2 days ago. They were hatched on 6/19. I am really liking the bantams, but I guess I'll have to wait & see how big their eggs get. They are only for our use, so size doesn't really matter. Having only bantams would be easier space wise, but I love the big chickens also. What to do.............​

My pullets I hatch out in Spring, Summer have always started their laying by Nov. Dec. That includes Light Brahmas that are slow to mature and lay.

I expect you will have layers all winter... I would suggest a couple extra hours of light in the morning if you want better results.

DSC04756.jpg

i have 12 buff orp. 18 wks. old just starting to lay today i got 3 eggs. i have a 15 watt. light that burns all time in the hen house don't know if it makes any difference. sojono

Back
Top Bottom