Pullet's first egg laying song, no eggs

ssferret

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Knoxville, MD
My Light Brahma pullets are going to be 17 weeks on Monday. Due to several circumstances, we haven't had the time to do nest boxes for the coop but thought we had time since Brahmas mature much more slowly.

I don't know if Nugget is an exception or not but a few days ago while I was sitting in the run she started singing the egg song. I looked at her and watched. She stood upright and walked as if she were constipated. I never noticed her waddle, comb, or face getting noticeably red. Also the comb has barely started growing. She sang again, then jumped on a small stool that sat next to me looking out into the run towed the other pullets. She continued singing over and over again all others started surrounding her and stare until she finally stopped and jumped off. Afterwards it didn't take long for everyone, including her, to behave as if nothing happened although Nugget still sang periodically.

I never found any eggs inside the run or coop. I know it's possible that I could have missed it or someone else ate it but the whole thing just seemed strange. She did periodically sing again. It started getting dark so they decided it was bedtime. I could still hear her singing in the coop even after she got on the roost. It had already been about 30 minutes when I decided to go in the house. I have not idea when she might have stopped.

We did go ahead and put what I call a poor man's nest box (light cardboard box) with dry grass in the coop elevating it with cinder blocks. Not surprisingly all the girls seemed to do was pull out the grass. (BTW, the actual nest boxes will be done tomorrow.)

I never found any eggs nor have I heard her or anyone else do the egg song since that day.

Is it possible she was just practicing since she just learned how to do the song and wasn't ready to lay? Or is there a similar sound that has a different meaning? Of course she did walk funny too. Was I just not able to find the egg? I couldn't find anything online that even mentioned something like this and since these are my first chickens, I'm at a loss.

Back
Top Bottom