Pullets first egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sammy56, Nov 19, 2014.

1. sammy56

sammy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    I am seeing now for 1 week my young pullets comb and wattle r getting deep red and today my rooster bred her for the first time and my question is in how many days will she lay an egg and will her egg be fertillesed.

2. BriardChickens

BriardChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    All depends on the chicken, but probably not too much longer from now.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It's difficult to predict the number of days, but it sounds like she's close. If your hen will allow you, you can check her pelvic bones. What you do is hold the hen firmly and turn her on her back. Put your fingers on her breast bone and work your way down to her vent area. You should feel 2 bones sticking up. These are her pelvic bones. If you can fit only 1 finger upright between her pelvic bones she's still roughly 4 weeks off laying, 1 and 1/2 fingers means she's a little closer, 2/3 weeks and 2 or more fingers means she's either close to or laying already.

This hen was an active laying when we took this pic. As you can see I could fit two fingers between her pelvic bones and note the colour of her vent, just below my fingers. It's moist and pink, which is another sign.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  4. sammy56

sammy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    Thank u so much u r so great thanks I'm so happy yay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by